Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best magnetic shield material

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njguy

MuMetal appears to be the industry standard for magnetic shielding as found in hard drives. It works well. According to wikipedia however, metglas has a much higher magnetic permeability with permiability of 1,000,000 vs 20,000 - 50,000 for MuMetal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permeability_(electromagnetism) I may be overly naive (which I probably am) , but wouldn't this suggest that you would be able to have a much thinner shield with Metglas?

On the Metglas website they don't sound like they are playing it up very much.
**broken link removed**
"Generally speaking our METGLAS 2714A alloy is better than Mumetal."

The saturation only seems to be .57 Tesla but still with permiability of 1,000,000 that has to count for something?

Perhaps the reason MuMetal is used more is that MuMetal is cheaper than Metglas.

Maybe but mumetal is not cheap and I read that >10% of all distribution transformer cores in China, india, etc are made from metglas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back