Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best LED project EVAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

That does beat out the HolySpokes/SpokePOV bike wheel LED displays.
I can see how difficult this was to implement in full color, and do realtime updates into moving wheels.
Still... $12,500-$19,500?? Most expensive microcontroller project not in space or blowing up a third world country!

https://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/25/forget-the-spinners-pimp-rims-go-high-tech/

I'm just trying to analyze the task. I calculate the wheel turns around 10Hz at 50mph. But each LED and each color in it would need a PWM channel.

The PWM has to run pretty fast too, and the idea of using fewer drivers by selecting one LED, driving it hard, then selecting another LED and driving it (like a row/column select used in most any LED display, including multicolor ones) wouldn't work because the LEDs move so fast that it would make them appear in different places. The whole row must be driven at all times and with a PWM freq>>wheel rotation rate.

At first I thought maybe they went a Single Board Computer route, but the task actually doesn't require that much bandwidth or memory. It's all about a complex hardware interface which an SBC probably won't help with. There's a chance they had to have an ASIC made to handle all the PWM jobs but they also may have just put in a crapload of I2C/SPI PWM chips in parallel. The most PWM channels on a chip I saw on Digikey were 6-channel chips. Looks like maybe 24 tricolor LEDs, 3 per wheel, man, would take 216 channels, with output transistors and resistors!

Or maybe I'm discounting the potential to do scanning too soon. Lemme see- if we want to avoid distortion maybe you want to scan the whole row in under 1/1000th a rotation, so you'd have to drive the whole row at 10kHz. With one PWM it'd need to drive 216 channels, and if there were 8 clocks per channel (9 bit color) it would still need to run at over 17MHZ which is pretty unrealistic for a PWM or the selector switch. OK, multiple PWMs reduce the requirement, and I can see ways to do it, but I'm still in awe at the complexity of what initially seemed like a simple task.

The bummer here is they won't do anything spectacular at a standstill or low speeds, and yet they're going to be illegal to use on the road. So I'm not sure how you're going to show them off much legally.

Still another question is how they transmit the advertised real-time updates to the wheels. You'd either have to put a ring of IR receivers on the wheel or a ring of transmitters around the axle. Or go with a radio link.

Very impressive, not my cup of tea but cool all the same.

Not seen anything quite like that over here, wont be long i imagine.

Looks impressive and it sure requires more than 555...I bet they don't drive every
single color of every single LED with it's own dedicated PWM channel (i would try to avoid it).
One way or another, it's still lots of I/O and I wouldn't be surprized if the whole thing
is on single disc shaped pcb.

Maybe we can replicate results with customized arbitrary function generator
(without DAC and with enough bits in parallel to drive each color of each LED individually).

PC creates bitmaps and transfers to piece of ROM/RAM (PC does all the math
and data manipulation).

if they put encoder on wheel, this clock generation for arb can be done even in
discrete logic, specially if encoder has decent resolution (maybe 1000-2000ppr).
For example tipical incremenatal encoder has channels A, B and Z.
First two are providing pulses for counting (they have phases shifted) while Z channel
or marker is only one pulse per revolution. One could use A channel as clock for
binary counter and Z channel as reset. counter outputs could be used to address memory.
Memory has enough outputs to drive all LEDs so few chips could be paralleled to increase
data width.

This can be cleaned up by use of controller instead of bunch of chips (binary counters,
EEPROMs etc.). This way we also dont need three sets of data, one for each LED bar like in
discrete version and controller can take care of communication using simple radio modules
so updating of the image is possible while wheels are turning.

I wouldn't be surprised if these are illegal in a lot of places. Here in Virginia they are very strict about that type of thing (you can't even use those fluorescent ground-effect lights in this state), so I doubt they would allow these.

Dan East

Thanks for the link Peepsalot, now i won't be able to say no to kids... :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back