Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Compiler for PIC microcontroller beside's PICbasic pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboticinfo

Any one know where I can get a cheap compiler for the PIC microcontroller.

I would like to program all the PIC's that PICbasic pro can program

Also I would like the language to be In Basic

Any Idea's

Why stick with the Basic silliness? PICC and MCC are really good C compilers.

try mikroBasic its an realy good compiler that works whith a lot of PICs there are also mikroC and mikroPascal

I had it till my laptop got stolen and I do not want to pay for it again cause I am low on money since I am building a hi-tech shed.

have you contacted the company? I would think they would have your order on file and could help you out.

if you are like me and really don't want to do assembly, I would highly suggest you try C. C is far more powerful than BASIC in general. While it may be easier to get started in BASIC, programs written in C tend to be much shorter and far easier to read/follow.

that's why a lot of people get started in programming by messing around with some form of BASIC, but you don't ever see any real programs written in BASIC :lol:

I can't even imagine writing a large complicated program in BASIC, I think I would drown trying to keep track of it all, but in C it's very easy... especially if you program in an object-oriented manner.

Are you talking about C++?

Anyway I wanted to learn C but can't find any books on C for the PIC got any Idea's

there aren't any books on C for the PIC. not that I know of at least. As far as I know, the only language you're likely to find many books on specific to PIC programming is assembly, since that's the standard.

and no, I do not mean C++. C on the PIC is the same as any other form of C except for the stuff specific to the PIC... like the variables corresponding to the settings registers, and the PORT and TRIS registers... the stuff you have to deal with in any language.

your best bet is to search the net for examples. you'd probably be best getting a basic understanding of C before you try to do stuff on the PIC specifically.

check out sparkfun.com. they have a ton of info. from what compiler to use, what editor to use, how to compile, how to program, etc... as well as example programs.

easier to learn, yes. but I bet that if you were to make a similar program in C and BASIC, it would take far less time to write it in C. that would be especially true for more complicated programs, as I said...

If you've actually purchased PicBasicPro, duplicate copies/updates are only like $10-$15.You can get them from Melabs.com or their distributors such as Rentron.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back