Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best cheapest way to couple cat5

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I have some cat5 bulk cable sitting around which has had lengths cut off it over the years, but now I would like to run some between rooms in my house, and may need to connect pieces together. Ok I know it's cheap enough, but I already have the cable and the budget is tight.

Is it ok to just solder the wires together, if I stagger the joins over a couple of inches? Or do I need to get one of those fancy coupler jobbies? Or would it be better to make a little straight-through pcb for this?

This is for home use only so it doesn't have to be standards compliant, just retain most of the bandwidth.

TIA :)

I've soldered and heatshrunk it in the past without a problem - just stagger the joins and try and keep the twists the same and you'll be fine :)

If you dont want to buy the crimp tool for the job you can get a little diescast metal tool for crimping them in a vice, I've never used one they look like they'd be really fiddly but if your just doing a couple, they usally come free with a couple of rj45's

Last edited:
Wow, what a lot of helpful answers! Thanks everyone :)

One of the better ways of putting telco type wires together is using Scotchlok connectors. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/UY(BX)/UY14911-ND/30676

I, personally, if I were joining wires within wall, I would use the solder, heat shrink method and maintain the twists. That, would have the best possibility of maintaining the CAT 5 standard. No crimps etc.

Try not to make splices within the walls and don't do what the HVAC installer did. Change the wire colors when a splice was made. There was a section of underground cable for the thermostat and it needed to be extended or spliced OUTSIDE at the condensing unit. The bozo really screwed it up. I used a cable with more wires, but kept the same colors to make the splice.

Howdy, If this is for Any Kind of ethernet use: solder, keep twist count consistent, heat shrink it All.

ScotchLocks are the bane of interconnection technology. I realize they're for convenient field use. I may be flamed for this, but users of ScotchLocks have No place in my shop (I feel similarly on "butt" connectors). The number of trailer & network "connections" I've had to fix of these galvanized my opinion. YMMV...<<<)))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back