Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best cheap and new oscilloscope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I need an oscilloscope, I'd like to buy a new one but they are quite pricey. From what I can gather the cheapest new oscilloscopes have computer based software and a handheld smart probe. Is that right? What is the absolute cheapest I could buy a new oscilloscope?

Thanks for any ideas.

Antknee.

it might be better to decide what you want an oscilloscope for, then look at what is best suited for your needs.
i got an oscilloscope a couple of months ago, i looked at all kinds but as i am new to electronics i decided to go the secondhand route. i ended up with a realy good scope easy to use with plenty of features (probally more than i will use) and the cost was alot cheaper than a new one of simillar spec.........certainly cheaper than buying a very cheap scope that ends up not being used because it cant do what you want.

list the things you want from it and i am sure you will get plenty of good solid advice and recomendations.

Last edited:
Hi ghostman,

I need to measure voltage at high frequency, the frequency needs to be no higher than 3MHz and voltages/amplitues up to 200V. A single channel would be fine. I dont need anything really complicated, simple is best. So I want the cheapest low spec new oscilloscope.

I have had a look at oscilloscopes on ebay but they don't appeal to me. The carriage charge is high and its quite probable it would have something wrong with it, even if it did more or less work. My opinion on ebay is that by the time you've paid for carriage and repairs, missing parts and hassle, the total cost isn't far off a low spec new device. I might still get one from there, but I want to know how much the cheapest new oscilloscope is first.

Regards,

Antknee.

Hi ghostman,

I need to measure voltage at high frequency, the frequency needs to be no higher than 3MHz and voltages/amplitues up to 200V. A single channel would be fine. I dont need anything really complicated, simple is best. So I want the cheapest low spec new oscilloscope.

I have had a look at oscilloscopes on ebay but they don't appeal to me. The carriage charge is high and its quite probable it would have something wrong with it, even if it did more or less work. My opinion on ebay is that by the time you've paid for carriage and repairs, missing parts and hassle, the total cost isn't far off a low spec new device. I might still get one from there, but I want to know how much the cheapest new oscilloscope is first.

Regards,

Antknee.

You aren't asking much. Three MHz isn't at all high frequency and any basic scope with a 20 V/Div and a 10:1 probe will work for you. Even an older analog scope. You could get what you want for about $50 (USD) which brings us to it is difficult to suggest where to get a scope when your location is unknown?

Ron

Hi Reloadron,

Firstly, like the username!

I'm in the UK. I'll update my profile too.

Thanks,

Antknee.

Well I can't help you too much but I am sure one of the UK peoples here will have some shopping suggestions. However, the scope you want shouldn't cost much. Typically here in the US one can find older but quite good scopes with an upper frequency response around 100 MHz for about $50 (USD). I don't know your budget but I am sure if you post it someone in the UK can be a big help.

Ron

Have a look at the Rigol DS1052E. It is getting good reviews and is one of the lower priced units out there, considering the features. There are dealers in the UK, but not sure which ones.

Hi Reloadron, Hi RadioRon,

I just bought this oscilloscope :-

**broken link removed**

It was £80 ($120 US). It seems to do everything I want. I'd have prefered 3MHz to 2MHz but it should be ok. I checked 3 different suppliers and this was about rock bottom price for new.

Thanks,

Antknee.

Best, Cheap, New.

Pick any two!

If it is new and cheap, it wont be much good.

Consider a secondhand good scope, you will not be dissapointed.

As you are in the UK, have a look at these guys:

Used Electronic Surplus & Electronics Ltd

I bought a bit of kit from them, it was dead on arrival, I gave them a call, they arranged for it to be collected, they sorted it and returned it to me and it is still working 18 months later, and they paid the carriage for return to them and back to me.

JimB

on edit
Oops: I just re-read your last post. I cant help but feel that you will find that instrument "a bit lacking".

Last edited:
Sorry, I skipped after the first couple posts. I bought a brand new analog B&K Precision 30MHZ dual trace scope for about $350 a couple years ago. It's a great little scope, only missing a couple small features I would like to have, and I plan on using it to fix up all the busted 2nd-hand scopes I've purchased over the years.

Last edited:
Oops: I just re-read your last post. I cant help but feel that you will find that instrument "a bit lacking".

Yes, especially since the specs state this:

10MHz sampling rate
Up to 2MHz analogue bandwidth (-3db point)
128 x 64 pixels, high contrast LCD display

Last edited:
I have an old 75MHz Cossor 'scope and an old 10MHz Tektronics (I'm not sure if I've spelt that correctly) 'scope.

They're only useful up to a fraction of their bandwidths when viewing squarewaves because they contain higher frequency harmonics i.e. if you view a 10MHz squarewave with a 10MHz 'scope, it will look like a triangle wave. If I'm not bothered about measuring the rise/fall times a 10MHz 'scope is only useful for 2MHz the 75MHz 'scope up to 15MHz.

Last edited:
I'll primarily be working at 100KHz. With a 128 pixel x axis this should give me an accuracy of +/- 2KHz or thereabouts. This kind of accuracy will be fine for me. I haven't used an oscilloscope since college, many years ago, so I'm not sure which features I might want that this device won't have. If it won't measure 100KHz to within a few KHz I'll send it back, I'll keep the receipt and packaging just in case!

I have a signal generator which is digital and measures input frequencies accurately. From this oscilloscope I primarily need a ball park voltage and a look at the waveform shape.

Thanks for your replies.

Antknee.

Last edited:
Cheap means not-protected-from-surges ==> a simple

If it is new and cheap, it wont be much good.

Consider a secondhand good scope, you will not be dissapointed.

Well... the USB and PC based scopes are down under $200. Tekpower has a single channel little bench scope for $200.

BK Precision has a 2120B at 30 MHz, 2 channel. Monotone where the Rigol has color. But the BK is going to last 20 years. Maybe 50. $399.

I (heart) the Tek 453, 454, 465,475, 485 and cousins. But calibrated and checked out you want to spend $200-$250.

We also use Tenma's 72-6802 which includes a first-rate frequency counter. Qunatity (1) that's going close to $500. I like their gear.

Be ready to pay for carelessness with all the cheaper scopes. They are not protected from your bad acts......

Tek and the FIVE TIMES rule

I have an old 75MHz Cossor 'scope and an old 10MHz Tektronics (I'm not sure if I've spelt that correctly) 'scope.

They're only useful up to a fraction of their bandwidths when viewing squarewaves because they contain higher frequency harmonics i.e. if you view a 10MHz squarewave with a 10MHz 'scope, it will look like a triangle wave. If I'm not bothered about measuring the rise/fall times a 10MHz 'scope is only useful for 2MHz the 75MHz 'scope up to 15MHz.

Yes, its Tektronix.

And the rule-of-thumb is "FIVE TIMES for square waves." You need five times the top end to display square waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back