Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best caps for audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I need some small nonpolarized filter caps for the input to an ADC feeding a DSP system.
The question I have is, why is film caps the recommended type? Looking at the board's needs an SMD capacitor array would be great, but they're all in ceramic. I can get the values I need too. Are they ok or is ceramic somehow a quality no-no?

Oznog said:
I need some small nonpolarized filter caps for the input to an ADC feeding a DSP system.
The question I have is, why is film caps the recommended type? Looking at the board's needs an SMD capacitor array would be great, but they're all in ceramic. I can get the values I need too. Are they ok or is ceramic somehow a quality no-no?

I wouldn't worry about it!, there's a lot of rubbish written about different component types, generally about imagined audible differences (even when measurements are identical!).

Ceramic disc caps change their value with voltage change. It makes even harmonic distortion (single supply) or odd harmonic distortion (dual supply) when the cap is used as a high-pass filter. Film caps don't do that and are perfect for audio coupling.

audioguru said:
Ceramic disc caps change their value with voltage change. It makes even harmonic distortion (single supply) or odd harmonic distortion (dual supply) when the cap is used as a high-pass filter. Film caps don't do that and are perfect for audio coupling.

living up to yr handle

audioguru said:

I was wondering if that was it, I knew electrolytics often did this.

Are some ceramic types better, or is this a safe generalization that no ceramic types are ok?

I have tried ordinary electrolytic against metallised polyester and there is a slight audible improvement using the polyester (as coupling caps). it seems the high frequencies sound clearer, but I must emphasise it was a small improvement (though I tested on cheap headphones, so to notice it on them it must have been something).

audioguru said:
ohh...:oops: i didn't know that .. thanks audio...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back