Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best 5v voltage regulator IC to power microcontroller and rf transceiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydi12345

Before, I'm using 7805 (T0-220 package) on my previous projects but I realized at the end it has a high quiescent current. I'm planning to use LM2936 or LP2954 to power my board which has 1 RF transceiver module and PIC16f877a. I'll be using the 9v rectangle battery as my input voltage. Which do you think is better? Or you have other 5v IC regulator suggestions?

Last edited:
Use 4 AA or AAA batteries.

That will give you 6v. 1 diode drop will put you around 5.3-5.4v That is fine for the PIC.

It will last much longer than the 9v and you need no regulator.

You can do the same with the 4 AA, AAA, C, D, or other 1.5v batteries, and use a 5.1v zener.

All set. simple.

LM2937 LDO Vreg with overvoltage shutdown, reverse polarity & transient protection etc.

**broken link removed**

I missed the RF transceiver part.

Jeez.. I think part of my brain evaporated with the leftover vodka still boiling away from new years celebration.

Thanks for the replies RMMM, Mosaic and Blueroomelectronics.

I missed the RF transceiver part.

Jeez.. I think part of my brain evaporated with the leftover vodka still boiling away from new years celebration.
Lol that's fine. I've never heard this way before. Have you tried this?

LM2937 LDO Vreg with overvoltage shutdown, reverse polarity & transient protection etc.

**broken link removed**
I think your suggestion has a very large quiescent current like around 2mA like 7805

How long do you need the battery to last?
Since our project is a mobile robot I think it would be good if it could last at least 3 hours but I don't know if it's possible. Maybe 2 hours is possible. I have separate 4 AA batteries for the motors.

Last edited:
Any linear regulator will simply waste current, you could try a switchmode regulator or just a diode and connect directly to the PIC from your 4AA supply.

Sorry guys but I have to revive this thread. Is it okay? I finally decided to use 6v SLA battery for this one. I don't think I can use your suggestions above because most of them are not available in our city. Will it have no problems if I use the diodes for the voltage reduction? I'm not familiar what diode it is and what's the placement. Can you help me again here?

RMMM said:
Use 4 AA or AAA batteries.

That will give you 6v. 1 diode drop will put you around 5.3-5.4v That is fine for the PIC.

It will last much longer than the 9v and you need no regulator.

You can do the same with the 4 AA, AAA, C, D, or other 1.5v batteries, and use a 5.1v zener.

All set. simple.

That is so interesting!
Which diode is this that can seemingly "drop" the voltage by 0.6v ?

Any diode can drop the voltage, just look for the 'forward voltage' of the diode and whatever it is will be the amount the voltage is reduced by, generally rectifier diodes have a forward voltage of 0.7v.
All to have to do to get this to work is put the diode in series with the power supply.

Man..this method makes people like me that connects 4 AA Batteries to a Voltage regulating IC look like Morons, ha ha ha.
Because Knowledge is POWER !

Thank you cobra1 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back