Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bessel functions and FM sidebands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wracking my brain trying to remember how to do this, and searching the internet for the past 3 hours hasn't yielded anything useful. Anyways, I have a chart of bessel function values for certain sidebands. If I'm thinking of them correctly, they represent percent of peak voltage at a certain modulation index.

What I'm trying to figure out is, for instance, if you have a 1kW FM transmitter and a modulation index of 2, what is the power of the first sideband? The value on the chart is .5767 for the first sideband at a mod index of 2, but I'm not exactly sure how to apply that, and I don't think it's just a matter of simply multiplying .5767 and 1000W.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Doesnt that pertain to the amplitude? Also, dont you first subtract 1 from the sideband?

In other words, the amplitude of the first sideband would be J(s-1,2)*A which would be J(0,2)*A where
A is the amplitude of the carrier. This would come out to around 0.22 for A=1.

The multiplier is J(s-1,m) where s is the sideband number and m is the modulation index.

You should probably verify this however on the web or perhaps someone else can verify or correct this.

Last edited:
I tried it out in MultiSim (not very indicative of real life, but whatever) and found that it generally worked like I thought it would (value on the Bessel function chart multiplied by the unmodulated carrier power), assuming the simulated spectrum analyzer works correctly.

For an FM signal, the total power in the carrier and the sidebands is constant.

So the total power is given by the expression

(J0(M))² +2(J1(M))² + 2(J2(M))³ + ... = 1

Where Jn is the Bessel coefficient, M is the modulation index.

The Bessel coefficient reperesents the voltage, so the Bessel² represents the power.

So, in your example, the power in each of the two first side frequencies will be

0.5756² x 1000 watts = 332 watts.

JimB

For an FM signal, the total power in the carrier and the sidebands is constant.

So the total power is given by the expression

(J0(M))² +2(J1(M))² + 2(J2(M))³ + ... = 1

Where Jn is the Bessel coefficient, M is the modulation index.

The Bessel coefficient reperesents the voltage, so the Bessel² represents the power.

So, in your example, the power in each of the two first side frequencies will be

0.5756² x 1000 watts = 332 watts.

JimB

Immeasurable amounts of thanks, JimB. I knew it had something to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back