Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Besides GSM, what electronic device that i can replace to be my notifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fareezmurad

I just want to know some electronic devices that can be my notifier.

Example:
I have mailbox and i want a device that can notify me when there is letter or mail being delivered in my mailbox instead using a gsm module. Can you give me any suggestion that possible beside using gsm module that only sending text message? Or maybe i can use email etc.

A mobile phone with internet connection works pretty well for this.
Really the answer depends on much more information than you are telling us. Does the notifier have to be able to work anywhere in the country? Can it be hard-wired to a certain location? What exactly is its purpose?

I prefer a notifier use for security system. Something like when someone break in our locker, the notifier will notify me. Any idea?

I prefer a notifier use for security system. Something like when someone break in our locker, the notifier will notify me. Any idea?

Again, you're giving no information - where are you, what range does it need to work over etc.

But GSM is simple, easy to do, and does pretty well everything you might want.

If you wanted email instead, you can send the GSM to an email service, which then forwards an email to you - but if you've got a mobile phone for receiving the email?, them why not just receive the GSM?.

For a practical design, either build your own round a processor and GSM module or chip - or simply buy a cheap GSM smoke alarm and rip the GSM part out.

Big issues are cost, legality, low battery consumption, range, frequency (Uhf goes through walls better), reliability, etc...

If you DON'T want GSM, then the next logical option would be WiFi: Have the module relay a message to an internet-connected server which you can then either connect to with a phone app or simply have it send an e-mail. If your server is close enough you could even get away with bluetooth.

If you Google around you'll find many low-cost modules for all of these (including GSM) that are designed for easy interfacing to a microcontroller. Then you just have to worry about powering it and actually performing the detection.

There can be a big difference with say a mailbox at home near the door or by the street and say a mailbox at the entrance to a development. That's why more info is needed.
Things such as nearly off the shelf, cost and whether it's a one of kind of project also help. What power source is available? Are we talking multiple devices? Distance to a place you can connect to the Internet and has power.

GSM/Cell will have subscription costs involved.

I can probably come up with two commercial devices that may work. One would be a wireless alarm transmitter/receiver. The next is a device that can send emails based on contact closure inputs. These don't come cheap.

At the same time, I can come up with this: https://www.zoro.com/g/00118016/k-G...hopping_Feed&gclid=CMyVt9Con8ACFSgV7AodyUwAYg This is good for possibly 1000 ft.

You can send an SMS or MMS to a cell phone from an email client, but you have to know the carrier to form the address.

In my development I see the AP name xfinity for whatever reason. Just suggesting that there could be a public hotspot nearby, but that would not be guaranteed for all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back