Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bench top power supply - what should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadewind

Before anyone suggests that, no, I do not want to build my own. It will either take too much time (already have too many other projects) or will be too simple.

Anyway... I want to get myself a bench top power supply to use in mostly digital electronics but also some analog audio et.c.

I have been looking around at Farnell on what could be appropriate and found two suggestions. The first is an Agilent U8001A:
AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES|U8001A|POWER SUPPLY, 30V/3A DC, 90W | Farnell Sverige

That's probably the maximum amount I'm willing to spend and it only has a single output. Of course, I could live with that if necessary. Agilent is a well known high quality brand so I don't doubt that it is a nice unit.

The other one I'm looking at is a Caltek PSM3/2A which I suppose is some kind of cheap Chinese brand:
**broken link removed**

It seems to do what I want and it's nice to have multiple outputs. I'm worried about the quality after seeing this thread though: Caltek PSM2/5A PSM3/2A Lab Bench Supplies Calibration - RC Groups

Any tips, hints or suggestions on what to get? I live in Sweden so finding used power supplies is not nearly as easy as it is in the US.

Build your own. Sorrry, just had to say it since it's such a simple solution. I think that the first thing you need to realize is that you don't need a 0 - 40 volt, 10 amp dual or triple supply. Few applications truly require a variable supply and few breadboarded circuits need more than 1 amp. A fixed 5v (or fixed 3.0 or 3.3 volt) supply for digital work and a ±12 or ±15 volt fixed supply for analog work will handle 98% of your requirements.

You can "roll your own" triple fixed voltage supply so easily and so inexpensively that I don't understand why you're not considering it unless you're filthy rich.

I realise I don't know your location, but the price of the PSU you mention at Farnell is £216... and I was trying to figure out why it was so much better than the one I bought from Maplin (**broken link removed**) which has served me really well for a couple of years (I'm only into the most basic stuff) but then I noticed the price of this from Maplin was £85 and that really shocked me, 'cos I didn't pay £85 for it, I paid £29.99... so I must've have fell upon an amazing offer they were running at the time.

I'd still very much like to know what is so much better with the PSU you provide a link for, as opposed to the budget Maplin one. Just for my own curiosity and education, you understand? Is it build quality, is it features? I can see that it has lots of buttons, but I am - as yet - struggling to understand what they might all be for... (I Googled a picture of it and I can see them all now... some do look really superfluous)

Setting the voltage very specifically can be quite hard on my PSU - steady hand - but once it's set it's fine.

I'm located in Sweden so Maplin is not a good idea for me because of the shipping charges and incompatible input voltage.

Secondly, I do need to be able to go up to +48V for testing phantom powered audio circuits. I'd also really like a variable current limit when doing certain things to keep chips from frying if I do something wrong.

Hippogriff said:
I'd still very much like to know what is so much better with the PSU you provide a link for, as opposed to the budget Maplin one.

In general Agilent, formerly HP, products are better designed and go through intense environmental (durability) testing. They have a much longer life expectancy then budget models.

For many people it may be overkill, but nice.

Last edited:
I got an Elenco kit for about 50 bucks and had it built in less than 2 hours. It has 5VDC regulated. and 1-24 VDC+ or -, and two 6.3 VAC that can be stacked too. So I have 7 possible combinations and all of the possibilities fall with the range of being usefull/ The kit was an XP-720K. Great little project, and a great little bench top Power Supply. Worth a look since it includes the enclosure and all components.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back