Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bench tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

keny

Ok, I'm a relatively new EE. I'm trying to figure out what are the most common models of basic tools that I need to establish a somewhat respectable practice of building stuff. i.e. prototypes and new products, inventor type stuff.

I currently want to upgrade my scope, signal generator and my dmm's, and I'm wondering what models people are using for the types of things that I will be doing: Pic MCU's, Audio processing and amplifiers, and Lighting displays. (Maybe a little MCU - USB as well)

What I have I basically acquired on ebay after reading recommendations from the student manual to horowitz, the art of electronics, it's all old school, and I want to replace it all with mid to professional range modern stuff, wondering what the technicians are using in FOR REAL ENV's:

upgrade to new mid-grade:
Simpson 260 (old school) I want something the same but current and that I can use for current
Fluke 37 bench multimeter
Beckman 9020 20Mhz 2 ch scope CRT
BK precision 3022 signal generator
Power supply (BK precision 30 v) - I want something with a ±20v minimum
Soldering Gun

upgrade to new higrade:
Hand tools: (brand and type recommendations) && (I would like the highest quality of these)
circuit board punch
resistor bender tool
workstation tools (clamp the circuit board, magnify as needed and what not)
Pro level screwdrivers and tweezers, pliers, etc...

also:
hand held DMM
Current detector clamp thing

and here's some symbols:
µΩ±Πφ×ΔΔΘΛ§Γ≤≥ΣΦΨαβχτγδεζηψ∑θλξρσωκ²³½¼¾π√∞∫≈≠≡Ξ

keny

Last edited:
Oh man, I spent my Navy career with a Simpson 260, what a great meter it was back in the day. They're still good compared to many of the cheap meters sold today.

Oh man, I spent my Navy career with a Simpson 260, what a great meter it was back in the day. They're still good compared to many of the cheap meters sold today.

funny, because i really love it. It even still has the case but I don't use it. got it off of ebay for 40 bucks. There is something to be said for a proper analog meter....

I would also be interested in prototyping components, like if anyone could recommend sets of resistors, led's etc.... currently I am debating what type of way to connect wires to a prototyping board, crimp or terminals... can't decide what to order...

I would just purchase parts as your need arises, and perhaps buy extras at the same time. No need to buy stuff that you may never use. My junk box is living proof of that. :)

Buy as you need. You'll always find something better out there if you wait long enough. I'm not sure what you plan to work on, but at least for me I've never needed a signal generator. You might want a logic analyzer if you are doing lots of serial stuff. Saves a lot of headache.

Highest quality hand tools cost a LOT (especially things like tweezers, cutters). Resistor bender tool? Give SMD a try. Buy as you need.

Last edited:
i didnt think i needed a signal generator until I started building audio amps and wanted some kind of a/c test circuit. then I had to have the idea of hooking one up to a marshall stack with a delay pedal. The result? **broken link removed**, sound effect at the beginning of the song and the first break... (thats me playing eerythin' & singing 80's rap btw)

funny, when I decided to learn horowitz, It has a recomended bench listing of all the stuff they use in the book and I just got everything. So, yes I DO have a pile of IC's and the like, but I think it was worth it. I need a new resistor set though because the one im using now is getting pretty beat up.

Last edited:
here's the issue**broken link removed**(header pins / connector cable or something...)

So what exactly is your issue?

Last edited:
A good option for a digital scope right now, depending on your requirements is the Rigol DS1052E with the 100Mhz hack. You can still pick these up from DealExtreme.

sorry my off topic a.d.d. was kicking in after a couple beers... I was mentioning that i need a connector for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back