Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

beginning with electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

electra11

Hi,

What materials should I buy to start working with electronics?

Can someone guide me here? perhaps using messenger?

Hello there.

I can recommend the following:

1. A good Electronics text book. When I started out I used "Electronic Systems" by M.W. Brimicombe and it's adequate. I think I wrote a review on it in the books section of this forum. Other than that, "The Art of Electronics", although very old now, is still a bible of Electronics. It's expensive, but you might be able to get a good copy on Ebay.

2. Breadboard prototyping. Get yourself a small breadboard prototyping kit. This will allow you to build circuits explained in the electronics text book and verify the operation of it for yourself. This is where you'll learn the most about Electronics!

3. A simple multimeter. For verification purposes it doesn't need to be very accurate, but diode and transistor test functions are useful, so try to get on that supports those functions.

4. A variable D.C. power supply. I have a 32V dual PSU which is excellent because you can do split rails and stuff like that with it, but they are expensive so to start with if I were you I'd try to pick up a variable 12V PSU with perhaps 500mA to 1A current output.

5. If you can afford it, a very basic oscilloscope would be extremely useful. If you can't afford it, then an electronics simulation package is a good compromise for learning purposes.

I hope this helps!

Brian

Welcome to the forums.First of all no one will help in Messenger. Second of all here are some good sites to start of with:

All About Circuits : Free Electric Circuits Textbooks
electronics tutorials

Courtesy of Atom Soft:

Electronics Demonstrations (Simulations)

Its Java applet Circuit Simulator Applet

If you want hardback. You can buy Art of Electronics.Considering you have access to internet buying/selling( i dont), heres the link :

Amazon.com: The Art of Electronics: Paul Horowitz, Winfield Hill: Books

Regarding the Power Supply, thinking about it you could probably get away with one of those wall adaptors with switchable outputs, if money is tight.

Brian

I am new as well, and my approach has been to get masses of information. I have bought textbooks, subscribed to an electronic magazine, read online stuff and got a load of electronic suppliers catalogues to see what parts you can get.
I knew nothing when i began, and found the book 'electronics for dummies' useful. It certainly isnt a reference book, but it has good advice such as component identification/use, component shops, advice on buying equipment, other books to read, and includes some basic circuits to try as well as explaining the basic concepts of electronics.
I am using the textbook 'the art of electronics' by horowitz & hill as a reference book and can recomend this too.
what do you want to do with electronics?

i want to work with electronics.

I live in Israel.

Before I learn stuff in college I want to know the field. I mean specailities.

I want to work in electronics of cell phone.

what do you do with electroncis?

I have no intention of fixing waching machine or ovens.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in a proto board for assembling circuits to model after what you've learned in theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back