Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

beginner to programming microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

notwist

I am new to this microcontroller programming thing. For my design, i need to program the microcontroller (Atmel Atmega) to control a RF transceiver (XE1230F). The device is an active RFID reader, capable of transmitting and receiving signals from separate transponders. I was unable to find any guides about it online but I did find one for the same transceiver but a different uC. Basically, what are just some general tips in beginning uC programming? I've read the datasheets (which may take a couple more readings to soak up the information) but how do I know if a certain microprocessor will work for a given application? Also, what I be able to use a regular PIC microcontroller instead of the Atmel? Right now I have access to a PC capable of programming a PIC but not the Atmel model uC's. I hope I was not too vague but will put down more info if need be.

Thanks!

we had originally planned to use the Semtech XE12304F RF transceiver and the Atmel ATMega microprocessor for our design but the rfPIC looks like a better option.

I will read more about this model chip and post here if I have further questions. THanks!

Hmm, after further reading about it, it seems it lacks RSSI (received signal strength indication) feature.

So about the XE1203F. Will it work with a PIC uC? How can i determine if it will?

For the transceiver, I read that the receiver converts the incoming signal into a bit stream and that the transmitter performs the modulation of the input bit stream. My question is: How do I take some "message" stored on the MCU and send it to the transceiver and vice versa? What do they mean bit stream? and How do I convert to and from it?

notwist said:
For the transceiver, I read that the receiver converts the incoming signal into a bit stream and that the transmitter performs the modulation of the input bit stream. My question is: How do I take some "message" stored on the MCU and send it to the transceiver and vice versa? What do they mean bit stream? and How do I convert to and from it?

Unless the RF module includes an encoder/decoder, then you will need to encode and decode the data yourself, Manchester coding is the most common method, and sent as data packets.

You might have a look at my PIC tutorials, which explain Manchester coding.

the transceiver has a NRZ encoder/decoder. how do I make the necessary steps to make sure the PIC can both receive and send NRZ encoded data?

Nigel Goodwin said:
If it already has NRZ, then it should just be simple serial, the datasheet will explain what the format is.

I'm sorry but can you please elaborate more on what you mean by 'simple serial'? And i thought the format is NRZ or am i mistaken?

I appreciate your help in this matter.

notwist said:
I'm sorry but can you please elaborate more on what you mean by 'simple serial'? And i thought the format is NRZ or am i mistaken?

I appreciate your help in this matter.

You said the transceiver has an NRZ encoder and decoder, that's the wireless side - the side you talk to is normal serial like RS232, but probably only 5V (or even 3.3V) rather than the +/-12V of RS232.

Like I said before, the datasheet should explain exactly what's required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back