Beginner question about capasitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeirA

A friend gave me his Arduino starter kit, and I have had a lot of fun building different things on a breadboard.

So my interest in electronics is a fact. But I soon undestood that my total lack of knowledge in basic electronics prevents me from building something on my own. So I got myself some books, and are slowly getting some more knowledge.

Now I'm learning about capasitors. I understand how to charge and discharge a capasitor, but I don't understand what their purpose is. They are on nearly every schematics I've seen - but I can't figure out what they do.

Can someone please tell me a bit about what their purpose is?

Thanks!

A capacitor can filter a DC voltage so it is smooth.
A capacitor can pass low frequencies but reduce high frequencies.
A capacitor can pass high frequencies but reduce low frequencies.
A capacitor can block a DC voltage but pass an AC signal.
A capacitor can change an abrupt on-off signal to a smooth slow ramp up then slow ramp down signal to slowly brighten and fade an LED light.
A capacitor can be combined with an inductor to make a resonant circuit.

There is no single simple answer to your question. Real simple is a capacitor opposes a voltage change, moving right along to:

With the above quiote stolen from here. Some of what you ask in what seems a simple question can take years to really understand.

Ron

Thanks a lot!

I have put the Arduino aside, and will work more with basic electronics - and hope I will get into things with a bit of practise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…