Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BEGINNER need help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyguy

OK I'm just a beginner and don't know how to read schematic so please don't comments if your gonna say.. "search button is your best friend" "google it" cause like i said I'm just a beginner and been doing that and same thing just schematic and no step by step tutorial, and like i said don't know how to read schematic, maybe just a little bit but don't know how to put it on a board, and the board would have to be the one from radio shack cause don't have the money or the tools to make a PCB board. So what I'm asking from you guys is...

Can you guys help me on building a portable amplifier for some small speakers or headphones, would i need first is a list of the components that would be needing (exact name if possible), second a step by step on how to put everything on a radio shack board, if you guys don't want to do the step by step at least just the list.

I know i sound demanding but i have to put what i want, other wise ill be getting comments on "search it" "look around the web," and there only schematic or they are doing it on long board that you don't solder anything but this is something i want to keep and take it around with me.

Oh and i would like this to be small and power by battery, small like a project box or a little bigger.
Well thank you

The first comment that I have is that portable speakers that run on batteries are much easier and cheaper to buy than make. I found a rechargeable one on Ebay in a few seconds of searching.

If you want this for experience, that's fine.

Find an amplifier IC. You want one that has a maximum power or 5 W or less, and it should be in a DIL package so that you can solder into prototyping board. Get the data sheet for the IC. They will have a typical circuit. Just follow that.

When laying out on prototyping board, I use the board like this:- CIF|AGB10|G/F STRIP, PROTOBOARD, 100X160 | Farnell United Kingdom

Use sockets for all ICs. Design the layout on paper or a computer first. Put components at right angles to the copper strips, and on the other side of the board. Cut tracks where needed by drilling out a hole from the copper side. Do not use a power drill as you only go far enough to cut the copper.

If you look up "Ruby Amp" They'er many sites on how to make it.

If you know how to solder wires to a circuit board then I suggest that you buy an amplifier in a kit. It will have all the parts and instructions about making it.

Yeah i would like to do that too do you know about a good web page that sell good and cheap amplifier, and how many watts do i need it for a book shelves speakers.
Thank you so much. audioguru.

Last edited:
20W RMS per channel plays music very well through high quality bookshelf speakers. The speakers are fairly small and the power is low so will not be very loud and will not produce deep bass frequencies.
The Ruby amp has an output power of only 0.45W per channel.

The word "cheap" implies poor quality (poorly assembled and might fail soon or might not work) and poor performance. Is that what you want?

Here's an example of some typical audio amplifier kits. A Google of "audio amplifier kits" will yield more.

well i didn't mean cheap cheap i mean on the good quality amplifier, the cheapest one of those, i don't want a unknown name amplifier. there's are good quality amplifier that are more expensive than other, but sorry i didn't explain my self good enough. And only a question are there any amplifier that could be power by batteries and be for some book shelve speakers, and how big would they be.
Well thank you audioguru.

OK thank you for this web page and sorry to sound stupid but are this power by AC/DC adapter or by batteries.
Thank you crutshow

I don't know what you want.

You can make a little low power amplifier that is inexpensive and can be powered by a small inexpensive battery or mains adapter. It will sound like a cheap clock radio.

Or you can make a much more powerful and much better sounding amplifier that is still fairly inexpensive and can be powered for a couple of minutes from a small inexpensive battery or powered by a huge, heavy and expensive battery for a few hours or powered from an AC-DC power supply.

If you really want to operate from batteries then you need to build a switching (class D) amp such as this. They are much more efficient than standard class B or AB amps and thus your batteries will last longer, especially at moderate volume levels.

Well I would go for the more powerful and much better sounding amplifier powered from small inexpensive battery and I don't like what the battery I could change it to AC DC power supply. so where can I get one of this.
Thank you audioguru.

That Class D amp I referenced will operate from 8V to 18V. Assuming near 100% efficiency, for an average 1W of audio output, it would draw about 90mA from a 12V supply . From that you can estimate the battery life for your selected battery. For example an NiMH AA cell has a typical capacity of about 2000mAh. Thus 10 NiMH AA cells in series to give 12V would last 2000/90 = 22 hours for the example 1W output. Higher output powers will reduce battery life proportionally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back