Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner need help with hall sensor and transistor switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloakinghalk

I am working with a friend trying to complete a project and we need to send a square wave from 0-5 volts to a camera continuously after a hall sensor is triggered. I know nothing about transistors and I am having a hard time trying to figure this out. The power supply is 5volts and the hall sensor ranges from .6 volts normally to 1.2 volts when triggered. I am thinking that I need a transistor as a switch to turn on when 1.2 volts. Then another type of gate to provide power there after and then maybe a 555 timer to create the square wave from 0-5. Does anyone know how to do this?

Why not just get a **broken link removed**.

hook the out of the hall sensor to the base of a transistor, and you can use that to enable a 555 timer,

put a flipflop in there too if you want it to latch

The logic hall sensor isn't water proof. The sensor is going to be a foot under water. I'm using a cam sensor from a gmc car because its water proof. I tried to use a transistor but I can only get it to work in a basic circuit. When I put the sensor to the base of the transistor it just stays on all the time. I have been trying to look at LDR circuits to get some type of basis but it still just stays on all the time.

use a npn transistor, if it wont turn off put a resistor in between, use a pot to adjust it since value will change based on gain on transistor

Hall

There are a few unanswered questions:
Do the pulses turn off when the Hall turns off? This circuit does
What frequency of pulses? I just picked one
Note the first pulse from the 555 is longer than the rest. This is how it comes out of reset. Is that ok?

Attachments

• hall.PNG
    hall.PNG
    52.4 KB · Views: 367
Here is how I would do it. Set the 5K Pot about 3/4 of the way from the bottom, until the voltage at "RC" pulls all the way to ground. The time-constant of R1*C1 determines how long the 555 stays triggered after the Hall pulse goes low. Useful range of R1 is 10K to 10meg.

Attachments

• DF59.png
    DF59.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 276
I believe both of your schematics will work. The frequency I believe should be around 10hrtz but I'm not positive. I'll have to go and check the manual for the camera. I will try both out. What transistor should I get for MikeML and what op-amp for Ronv?

Any small signal NPN will work: 2n3904, 2N2222, 2N4124, 2N4401, and about a 1000 others.

Clicker

The LM393 or LM319 are probably the easiest to find.
Schematic with 10 sec. timer attached.

Attachments

• hall.PNG
    hall.PNG
    40 KB · Views: 415
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back