Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner looking for a little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhogge

Hello everyone. I know that a first post asking for help to this extent is not the best way to start things off, but I am experiencing information overload when trying to find the appropriate components for a project I am trying to get started on for my Harley.

Let me preface this by saying, I am a software guy by trade and hobby. The hardware world is new and exciting to me.

I am interested in designing an LED board which will allow me to individually address 36 RBG LEDs, allow 1mb of sd-card pattern storage.

These are the LED's I have been looking at purchasing:
LED - RGB Super Flux [RGB] - $1.00 : FunGizmos, make something fun!

All of the other components are unknown to me right now. Every time I think I have it figured out regarding what I need, I come across something else that points me in a completely different direction.

I'm not looking for someone to design this for me, rather I need some input into where to look and/or what you would buy if it were your project.

Last edited:
Exactly what are you planning to accomplish?
The smarties here will know what you need if they understand the project.

The goal is to create an RGB LED controller to handle 36 LED's.
The LEDs will not be in a matrix, cube, or strip configuration. Each LED will be placed at separate points on the bike.
Each LED needs to be addressable for as many colors as possible, and I would love to be able to ensure consistent brightness across the color spectrum.
I want to use an SD card to hold data regarding the LED sequences. I have designed a windows software interface which can create my pattern sequences and write to an SD card, I just need to be able to plug it in and be able to access it from the microcontroller.
I also need to be able to accept input from 5 power sources (switches) to control the units actions / animations. These will be simply boolean state indicators, so they will not interact with the animations, they will simply select them.
This will all run on a dirty 12v dc system (motorcycle).

If there is something else I need to tell then please let me know.
There are just so many options regarding which components to use that I am dumbfounded as to what will be the most sturdy, most cost effective way to handle this.

I would prefer go fully homemade as opposed to buying prefab kits for any of the components and I want to stay away from Arduino.

Last edited:
36 RGB led's, thats 108 led's total. All individually addressable with variable brightness, That wound be a very complicated controller to build. Also a lot of wires all over the motercycle.
You might want to consider something smaller. I saw somone do something like this once for only 64 channels his PC board was something like 6X8 inches and about 10 IC's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back