Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner Cap Value Difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

It's hard when you are a beginner.

I have a circuit diagram using a crystal with two caps of value 20pf.

I went looking in my parts box and found two disk caps marked .0022 and a couple marked 22k.

Will these do?

I knew once how to figure these out, but it has been a long time and I do not remember.

The .0022 is 2200pf. I'm not sure about the 22k. Somebody else will answer in a few minutes.

Thankyou bychon.
I found a packet of disk caps with a label that says 15pf and the caps are marked 15k.
Following that, the 22k may mean 22pf.
Assuming they are in fact 22pf, could I use them or should I get the 20pf the circuit diagram calls for?
Will the slightly higher value of 22pf throw the timing off?

All you wanted to know about cap values. Great write up.
**broken link removed**

Thankyou Mikebits. I will read it.
What do you think of my using the 22pf in place of the 20pf for now to get my microcontroller ticking?
will it change the timing of the 4mh crystal I am using?

Yeah I think you have 22pf caps with 10% tolerance. Worst case is I am wrong and they don't work :)

And 22pf caps will work just fine for your application.

Dean Huster and Van Roon wrote a masterpiece with this paper as they demystify cap markings.

Last edited:
Thanks again Mikebits.
I was just reading your suggested material.
I think they are 22pf too.
Will it alter the frequency? Do they even make a 20pf?
Oh, one last thing. Should I cut the leads to be as short as possible?

Last edited:
Keep the cap leads as short as possible. The 2pf difference will not matter. Go for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back