Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

beginner: adjusting a thermostat circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyoo

Please find attached a circuit. This circuit turns on a 500mA relay when the Th1 temperature, controlled by P1, is exceeded.

As a very beginner, I'm trying to adjust this.

Instead of the 500mA relay, I will use a 12VDC 500mA pump motor. The datasheet for the 2N2222 describes it as "designed for a high speed switching application at collector current up to 500mA". Do I need something bigger, to handle start/stop spikes?

Instead of turning on the pump when it reaches a particular temperature (65 degrees C), I want to turn it off. Is it as simple as swapping the leads going to pins 2 and 3 of the LM741?

The R2 resistor handles hysteresis. A range of 120K ohms to 470K ohms was specified. I'm okay with 1.5 degrees C during which the state does not change. Would that be the high end of the R2 range?

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• heat sensor.jpg
    heat sensor.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 501
Hi Nyoo,

nyoo said:
Instead of the 500mA relay, I will use a 12VDC 500mA pump motor. The datasheet for the 2N2222 describes it as "designed for a high speed switching application at collector current up to 500mA". Do I need something bigger, to handle start/stop spikes?

You will need something bigger than a 2N2222.
I suggest to replace R4, R5 and Q1 by a IRF540 mosfet.
Connect the gate (of the mosfet) to the output of the opamp,
the source to gnd and the drain to the load.
It doesn't need to be a IRF540, see what is available with similar
specifications.

nyoo said:
Instead of turning on the pump when it reaches a particular temperature (65 degrees C), I want to turn it off. Is it as simple as swapping the leads going to pins 2 and 3 of the LM741?

It's something like that but it's a little different, swap R1 and th1.

nyoo said:
The R2 resistor handles hysteresis. A range of 120K ohms to 470K ohms was specified. I'm okay with 1.5 degrees C during which the state does not change. Would that be the high end of the R2 range?

Probably.

on1aag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back