Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bcd thumbwheel programmable frequency source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
So I finished my 10mhz frequency standard.

I like to build another project, this time a programmable frequency source which can be either clocked by the bbc standard or from a ex mil crystal oven osc I just got on ebay.

If possible I like the thumbwheel readout to equal frequency, ie 000500 = 500hz, I at first thought of 4522's and invert the o/p's of the thumbwheel switches, but thats not gonna work.

Any ideas.

I assume you mean 10 megahertz, not 10 millihertz. ;)

Generating selectable frequencies from a single reference frequency is not a simple task. It's complexity depends upon the resolution of the frequency output you need. Typically this is done with a frequency synthesizer circuit that uses a phase-locked-loop and multiple dividers.

I was thinking maybe theres a 4000 series device suitable, maybe I'll do the job with a pic then.
I have a pll in the freq standard, took a while to get the control loop stable and not too slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back