Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BC74XLT scanner antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Think I stumbled onto a pretty good deal at work last week. Guy was looking to sell his handheld scanner, seemed in good shape, worked, so paid $40 for it. Have always been a little curious at times what all the sirens were about. Price wise, turned out to be about half price of a new one. Doesn't seem to pick up police calls, but they could be digital these days.
Not finding all the radio activity I had expected though, figure I need a longer antenna. After searching the web, and figuring out how to program and use the scanner, also learned a few disturbing things as well. Seems that scanners in vehicles are against the law in Florida, least for the average Joe. Doesn't sound like such a good idea to be walking around town with one either. Not a huge concern, didn't see myself chasing the flashing lights. I would like to improve and expand my reception though.

Figure to put up antenna outdoors, since my house is concrete block, the exterior walls seem to be solid, least the few places I've drilled through. I'm very light on radio stuff, and was wondering what sort of antenna I should build. Pretty sure there are some pretty cheap designs out of junk laying around. Really not looking to pull in stuff from other states or anything, just cheap and easy. The scanner's antenna is 6" or 7" long, BNC connector, about all I know.

Google "discone scanner antenna".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back