Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery to USB for DSL Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronvegas

Hi,

For remote testing purposes I've connected a USB modem to a 6V battery with a Rectifier Diode to drop the voltage to USB spec.

I want to test for a DSL connection on circuits without the link to a PC.

But when connected to the battery the modem does not initiate the DSL handshake sequence, so my question is:

Does the modem need a signal from the PC via the D +/- to start the DSL sequence. Would connecting the D +/- to the 5V or Earth provide the missing link?

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Something like that is likley nothing more than a hardware interface to the DSL line itself, the rest is probably done by the driver on the PC like Nigel was saying. Are you testing this battery hotwire on a line you can ordinarily get a DSL connection from when it's connected to a computer? Try it on a known working phone line that you can get a DSL connection from when it's connected to a PC, then try it with the battery. If it doesn't work then you need a USB host to control it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back