Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battery temperature sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abouabdelmajid

Hi everyone.
Can anybody tell me how to make a battery sensor temperature ? i tought about using LM35 and sticking it on the battery so i can figure out the temperature with arduino but it seem not a practical way for me because i think there must be some way to know the temperature by measuring the curent no ? anyway i am just saying ... can anybody help me how to buld one ?

The LM35 sounds a reasonable idea - you can't do it without some kind of temperature sensor, and battery packs (such as for a laptop) commonly have them built inside the pack (usually a thermistor).

Why do you want to know the battery temperature anyway?, it's normally only monitored during charging.

i am trying to do a project about charging a battery by using a solar pannel, it is something not easy to do because there are a lot of things that must be respected to not damage the battery. So i am using arduino and some other electronic devices to control the voltage and curent in a smarty way so i can avoid all what can damage the battery. So one of the things that i should be aware of is the RIGHT TEMPERATURE of the battery itself (not outside or what is around) ALL THE TIME OF CHARGING. if you google the word BTS (Battery Temperature Sensor) you will find that is a smart device that we can put on a one of pole's battery and it gives us the right temperature

So yes you are right using LM35 seems a helpful way but how can i do it ? do you have any idea ?

There are numerous Arduino examples of how to read an LM35 sensor, including those provided with the IDE itself.

As for the BTS you mentioned, it's appears to simply be a temperature sensor that bolts to the terminal of a lead acid battery.

What battery are you trying to use?, and how big is the panel - there's no point getting carried away if the panel is too small to ever overcharge the battery.

Actually i am using a 20 watt/17 Volt to charge a 12 Volt 7.2 Ah lead acid battery ... do you think there is no need to worry about the temperature of the battery ?

Actually i am using a 20 watt/17 Volt to charge a 12 Volt 7.2 Ah lead acid battery ... do you think there is no need to worry about the temperature of the battery ?

Probably not, and there's probably no need to do anything other than a reverse protection diode, which may even be built in the panel.

Assuming you've got the battery and panel?, connect them together via an ammeter, and monitor the current to the battery under a range of different conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back