Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.

4pyros

Most Helpful Member
I what to get a battery substitute power supply for converting a cordless impact driver, Ryobi
P230 Like this;
https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P230-18-Volt-4-Inch-Impact/dp/B0021QMLUS
to a corded unit.

Anyone care to guess how much current this will need to run as well as if it had the NiCad battery.

I can not find anything relating to current or power for the driver or the NiCad battery on the manufactures web site. The one thing I do know is the battery pack has 15 sub "C" sized NiCad cells in it.

Thanks Andy

Last edited:
Might want to measure the motor resistance to see the stall current. It looks like a brute! Could easily go 10 amps.

I can not find the max current a sub "C" can put out. Any ideas?

Typical NICAD sub C can be anywhere between 1800 and 2200 mAH. So it becomes a matter of seeing how the battery pack you have is configured. That would be my guess.

Ron

I can not find the max current a sub "C" can put out. Any ideas?

Hi 4pyros not sure which type you had in mind but **broken link removed** NiMh Sub C can discharge at over 40A!

It is a high-discharge model and probably not indicative of the norm.

Last edited:
Hi 4pyros not sure which type you had in mind but **broken link removed** NiMh Sub C can discharge at over 40A!

It is a high-discharge model and probably not indicative of the norm.

Yeah, but it is a nickel–metal hydride cell, and not a NICAD battery. I believe 4pyros is looking to substitute a NICAD battery pack using a mains supply. Hell of a battery though.

Ron

I believe 4pyros is looking to substitute a NICAD battery pack using a mains supply.

LOL yeh got a bit carried away I did. I saw the 40A and had to tell someone.

Typical NICAD sub C can be anywhere between 1800 and 2200 mAH.
I have seen discharg ratings from 2C to 10C so thats a rang of 3.2 amps to 22 amps. Just wish I had the ratings on the packs Ryobi is making.

I saved one of the battery case for my Ryobi 18 v drill and rigged it so I could hook it to my 20 amp power supply, 20 amps is not nearly enough when you start needing torque, so I would guess a 40 amp @ 18 volts supply might work.
Kinarfi

On Monday I will do some tests and measurements on the impact driver at work.

Any bets as to the peak currents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back