Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery + Power Supply in series ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yngndrw

Is it safe to put a 12V sealed lead acid battery in series with a regulated linear powersupply to boost the output voltage ?

The battery is 12AH and can handle the power that I require, however I'm not sure if it will cause some kind of charging / heavy discharging - I don't use batterys much.

Thanks.

It should work fine. you basically add 12 Volts from your battery to the variable output from your supply.

e.g. 12 V batt. plus 6 V variable makes 18 Volts output.

Eventually your 12 volt battery will run down and needs to be charged up via normal means.

You want to make sure you don't discharge the battery much below 12V, otherwise it can shorten the life of the battery.

Alright then I'll bear that in mind, it was just for testing a stepper motor anyway.

Running it on 10V I got around 360 RPM max, but on around 23V I got over 1500RPM.
I should be able to get it running even faster with 30-40V.
I had an acceleration of 500RPM/s.

Cheers for your help guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back