Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery-Operated Polygon Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

907tec

Hello all, thanks for reading.

I am very new to electrical engineering/component level repair, so your patience is appreciated. That being said, I have kind of a crazy project in mind: I want to take the Rotating Polygon Mirror assembly from an old laser printer/copier and convert it to run off battery power, as well as adapt to new light sources. The naming convention on the motor resembles that of newer models made by Panasonic, though i can find no listing for the one in question. The back of the motor plate identifies it as "11K1208 1K0000B MASQ8SF3LL 35750rpm 1520NA Made in Japan". A very similar, but newer, motor can be seen at (https://industrial.panasonic.com/www-cgi/jvcr13pz.cgi?E+MT+2+AHA1002+0+4+WW)
The motor is solid mounted on a metal plate, with a circuit board glued ontop. The board with the motor attached is further connected via flat ribbon cable (14 pin) to a board labeled as "Panasonic FLEGA3427" which I am assuming controls the incoming power and distributes it properly to the motor board.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find schematics for the motor board and control board. What I do know is that the power supplied to the board is 24v dc, with either 2 or 3 24v dc return lines. There are various other pins (reFREQ, Lock, Start) in the 6-pin connector. Optimistically naive, I was hoping to simply spin the mirror with a 24v battery source.

Doing my best to electrocute myself, and possibly burn up the boards/motor, I have been testing each pin combination for one that will power up the motor. The only way that I have been able to get the motor to rotate, is by directly applying current to the solders on the motor board. Connecting combinations of points 1,2,and 3 to a power source will cause the mirror to spin less than half a revolution and promptly stop. Removing and reapplying the power causes the motor to spin another fraction of a turn. This leads me to believe that the motor requires more than just a steady 24v to 2 particular contacts. More likely, it will require power being routed to several contacts and pulsed in order to build up speed.

Im sorry that i dont know what extra info would be helpful. All i really care about here is getting that mirror spinning. Controlling the rate would just be bonus.

Thanks already guys, i appreciate your time
907tec

Welcome to the forum.

It's a shame that you don't have any replies but that's probably because no one knows the answer.

I don't understand why you want to do this?

It's probably a bipolar stepper motor and you can buy controller ICs for them.

hehehe, thanks for at least reading, Hero. you might laugh if i tell you why im doing this...photography. I am a copier/printer/etc. technician by trade and an aspiring photographer as well. I am interested in doing long-exposures of outdoor scenes that are "light-painted". That is, i want to selectively light portions of an outdoor scene with a handheld unit (i.e., flashlight). I have seen interesting results produced by rapidly waving a laserpointer across the subject to "paint" them with light during the exposure and wanted to expand upon that idea. The polygon motor from most any laser printer/copier spins at a rate of at least 10,000 rpm (37,000 in this instance), creating a "scanning" motion of the laser beam. To the naked eye, it looks as though the assembly produces a wide laser beam along a single plane, perfect for painting large swaths of a scene like a paint roller. The only reason i chose the polygon motor assembly is that i have many redundant parts, they are essentially free, and...lastly...i thought it would be possible to just wire up with a 24v battery source and be done. From the few responses and little bit of research i have conducted...i think i really am in over my head. I am thinking it might be easier to use the same mirror/lens system from the laser unit, but replacing the 37,500 rpm servo motor with something a little more...pedestrian. I have access to many different motors found in copiers/finishers/shredders/printers, most of which arent as "smart" as this infernal servo motor.

again, thank you for your time Hero999, I really do appreciate your reply here.

-907tec

ps- if youd like to see examples of similar fotos, ill send you a link. i just dont wanna spam company/personal websites on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back