Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Monitor Circuit- Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainyday101

Hi, New here, been out of the electronics field for a bit and need some help with a circuit. I need to build a battery monitoring circuit that will monitor two AA cells and light a LED when the voltage for these cells is low. I guess that trip point to be around 2.1 to 2.4 Vdc. I have searched the internet and found voltage monitoring IC's etc. by Panasonic and ON Semiconductor, but none are readily available. These also have 3000 part min. qty. orders. I did manage to get some samples from ON Semi for a NCP301LSN22T1G voltage detector. They are microscopic and I will never be able to solder any thing to them! Can I use a comparator circuit? LM393? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, New here, been out of the electronics field for a bit and need some help with a circuit. I need to build a battery monitoring circuit that will monitor two AA cells and light a LED when the voltage for these cells is low. I guess that trip point to be around 2.1 to 2.4 Vdc. I have searched the internet and found voltage monitoring IC's etc. by Panasonic and ON Semiconductor, but none are readily available. These also have 3000 part min. qty. orders. I did manage to get some samples from ON Semi for a NCP301LSN22T1G voltage detector. They are microscopic and I will never be able to solder any thing to them! Can I use a comparator circuit? LM393? Any help would be appreciated!

hi,
The ICL8211 ic a battery monitor.:)

datasheet at: www.datasheetarchive.com

Last edited:
Thanks, I looked up the IC and like it, but it is microscopic in size! That is about the size of the ones I have from ON Semi. With it that small I wouldn't circuit board mount it and would need to solder wires to the legs. I don't have anything to solder that small and maybe the ability to do so. In my time away from this field I can't believe how small things have gotten! Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

I need to build a battery monitoring circuit that will monitor two AA cells and light a LED when the voltage for these cells is low. I guess that trip point to be around 2.1 to 2.4 Vdc.
Can I use a comparator circuit?

Yes, use a comparator with hysteresis and a bandgap voltage reference. Piece 'o cake!

Thanks, I looked up the IC and like it, but it is microscopic in size! That is about the size of the ones I have from ON Semi. With it that small I wouldn't circuit board mount it and would need to solder wires to the legs. I don't have anything to solder that small and maybe the ability to do so. In my time away from this field I can't believe how small things have gotten! Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

hi,
Its also an 8pin DIL plug in package as well a SMT..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back