Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Life Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitem2k

Ive got a portable fridge that will run from 12v. Its says on the back of the fridge that it uses 80w.

I plan on running the fridge from a spare car battery that I have, it says that its capacity is 50A/h.

Does anyone know how i can calculate the amount of time that the fridge can run from this?

My attempt at calculation goes like this:
Watts = V * A

so 12v * 50A = 600W

600W / 80W = 7.5hrs. Is this right?

thanks very much.

If it is the type of fridge that also runs on AC mains, then the wattage quoted is probably the maximum when on mains and may be about 10-20W less on DC 12v.
Also, some fridges have a fixed temperature thermostat so may use less power when cool enough.

Your calculation looks ok to me, except that I do it a different way, calculate the current used first then divide into the A/H which gives the same answer.

If your battery has not been used for a while then it may not still be able to achieve that capacity and I bet the manufacturers quoted the capacity as the maximum obtainable in ideal conditions?

hi bitem,
Another point to consider is when the fridge is down to temperature and the door is kept closed, the fridge will not be powered 100% of the time.

If its well thermally insulated you can get a say, a 50% duty cycle, so the battery could last twice as long, say 15hrs??

Thanks for your help picasm and eric.
Ill give it a try, and see how reliable the calculation is.

Your inverter won't be 100% efficient.

Does it have an efficiency rating?

I'd guess about 80% (worst case), so your 80W fridge will draw 80/0.8 = 100W from your battery.

Hero999 said:
Your inverter won't be 100% efficient.

Does it have an efficiency rating?

I'd guess about 80% (worst case), so your 80W fridge will draw 80/0.8 = 100W from your battery.

Hero999,
Many small portable fridges don't need an inverter as they use a 12v DC Peltier cooler and are actually less efficient when powered by the AC mains option.

picasm said:
Hero999,
Many small portable fridges don't need an inverter as they use a 12v DC Peltier cooler and are actually less efficient when powered by the AC mains option.

a peltier fridge?. peltiers aren't very efficient, so unless it uses a very good setup it will probably on all the time anyway. how big is the fridge?

Sorry, I obviously didn't read your post properly.

All those smaller fridges seem to be Peltier coolers. I wonder why because compressor fridges are so much more efficient. Perhaps it's because they're cheaper?

I wonder if a mains fridge powered from an inverter works out more efficient than a Peltier cooler.

They're much more physically robust. They're compltley solid state, only moving part is a fan, and even that isn't required depending on the application, a compressor and the coolant lines are much more complex and expensive to make and easy to damage. I'm going to guess (just guess) that a mains fridge is more effcient at the same temperature differential as a peltier can create. Compressor powered friges however are capable of a much higher differential in temperature just by running it longer. It's just the way the basic physics of the two devices work. One pumps heat using electrons, the other uses a gas with a very large compression ability so it can pump heat much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back