Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Level Indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfHearts

Hi every one,

I want to implement a simple battery level indicator, the level will be displayed on GLCD.

I have no idea on how to implement the hardware that measures the battery level. First of all, what are we measuring, is it the battery voltage level?

I need to measure 8AA batteries that is giving 12V.

Many thanks for any info and circuit diagrams.

PS. I know how to control the GLCD...its just building a suitable circuit to measure the battery level and reading this with the microcontroller connected to GLCD (which suggests that readings will have to be digitised...which means an ADC somewhere? )

Regards.

Last edited:
From the 12V, I would assume you are talking about alkaline batteries as Ni-Cads and NmH usually measure 9.6V.

Hi k7elp60,

Yep its Alkaline batteries indeed. :)

Go to the Microchip web site, and in the search box at the top right of the page enter: DS41215C, and check all documents.

Guess what? Tip #1 tells you how to do what you want to do.

By the way, while you're there, familiarize yourself with all their self-help documents. There's a ton of information available on everything from 12-bit Base products all the way to dsxxxx.

Go to www.energizer.com and look at Technical Info where thy hava a datasheet for each battery.
The voltage depends on how much current is being drawn and on how much capacity of the battery is left.

8 new AA alkaline batteries are 12V. If the load is 1A then the voltage quickly drops to 10.4V in about 15 minutes and drops to 8.0V in about 1 hour.

If the load current becomes less then the battery voltage increases. If the load current stops then the battery voltage might become 11.8v or 12v again.

8 AA Ni-MH cells are 12V when fully charged but quickly drop to 9.6V. They drop to 8V in about 1 hour at 1A but can be charged over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back