Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toastedghost

Hi

Can anybody please help me. Sorry I am a complete newbie. I have a digital picture frame which is powered by an internal rechargable battery. However the battery is often flat the next day and being a performer/artist I need to show my work regularly in a variety of locations. The battery is charged by a transformer which provides 9.5V 3A is there a battery solution I could use which could temporarily replace the transformer and ensure I always had power to my frame?
I will be extremely grateful for any help anyone can provide.

Many thanks

Colin

We don't know how much current the picture frame's electronics draws.
Eigh AA size Ni-MH rechargeable battery cells make 9.6V. They can supply 50mA for 50 hours on one charge. They would need a charger circuit.

A 12V lead-acid battery can have its output voltage reduced to 9.5V with an adjustable regulator. The battery will need a charger.

Thanks audiguru

Batteryspace.com said
You see a 9.6V pack when fully charged will give you an output voltage of 11.2V and I am not sure if that is too high to meet your need. Assuming it is ok, then the issue is what connector you need to connect to your picture frame.

If you are trying to power your picture frame where there is no ac power. You might be best to get a 12V battery pack and get a dc/ac inverter then connect your 9.6V power adapter to it and that will resolve your difference voltage and connector problem.

The last solution seems a long route round and is also costly

many thanks

Thanks audiguru

Batteryspace.com said
You see a 9.6V pack when fully charged will give you an output voltage of 11.2V and I am not sure if that is too high to meet your need. Assuming it is ok, then the issue is what connector you need to connect to your picture frame.

If you are trying to power your picture frame where there is no ac power. You might be best to get a 12V battery pack and get a dc/ac inverter then connect your 9.6V power adapter to it and that will resolve your difference voltage and connector problem.

many thanks

The last is not only costy, also extremely inefective. Like converting dollars to euro, then to dollars again.

Best thing you can do is dismantle the frame, and see how many volts and amps does the internal battery have. Post this data, and we'll tell you how to replace that internal battery with an external bigger one

Last edited:
Thanks audiguru

Batteryspace.com said
You see a 9.6V pack when fully charged will give you an output voltage of 11.2V and I am not sure if that is too high to meet your need.
If it's a fully charged NiMH pack the voltage will be 12.8V hot off the charger and quickly drop to about 12V.

many thanks
You still haven't said how much current this thing uses. It's possible to build cheap switching regulator with a couple of transistors which is 88% efficient.
Official Home Page of Roman Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back