Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

battery for PIC microcontroller circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

completenoob

Right now, on my breadboarded design, I am using a 7805 voltage regulator
and connect either four 1.5v batteries in series or use a 9v battery.

Is it possible to add some component(s) and use just a single 1.5v battery
like an AA or AAA or even a smaller battery?

I did a search on the forum and could not find a relevant post.

Thank you.

Why not use a wall wart ( a DC Power supply which plugs into the wall socket ).
you could find one that outputs 6V , connect it to your 7805.. and no more battery problems..

The 7805 will not work with 4x 1.5V AA cells unless it is a low dropout version, it needs more than a 1v margin.

There are boost regs which increase source voltage, but I don't know of any that operate from 1.5v, usually about 2.5v is a minimum to get them going. That's why you don't find any digital electronics operating off a single 1.5v cell.

You can go with two batteries- 3v- and use a boost to get 5v, but that's unnecessarily complicated since you could probably just design your system to operate off of 3v. You'd need to check all your spec sheets for the ramifications of doing so, for one, you have to go with a lower clock freq.

williB said:
Why not use a wall wart ( a DC Power supply which plugs into the wall socket ).
you could find one that outputs 6V , connect it to your 7805.. and no more battery problems..

I don't have any battery problems... it is just that the battery/batteries take
up a lot of space!

3V Coin

If space is the biggest problem, you might consider using a 3V coin cell. If your design is low power, it should last a good amount of time.

Oznog said:
There are boost regs which increase source voltage, but I don't know of any that operate from 1.5v, usually about 2.5v is a minimum to get them going. That's why you don't find any digital electronics operating off a single 1.5v cell.

Back when I first got my new job I went out and made a seriously overpriced impulse buy, some Bose noise canceling headphones. Interestingly, they work on a single standard AAA battery. It's always amazed me how they can get it to do what they do. Sample the surrounding environment with built-in MICs, send out a matched damping signal in addition to the music signal, and light an "ON" LED on the side. It usually lasts me a few months per battery, and I use them about 5 hrs a week. I still wonder how the heck they do that.

Someone Electro said:
thake a peak inside it and folow the tracks from the batery

Would prefer not to mess up a pair of headphones I can't afford to replace. :wink:

You want a boost regulator. It will take the 1.5V and step it up to the voltage you need. A boost regulator turns current into voltage using an inductor. hantto's chip is a boost regulator. If you have really low current requirements a charge pump might work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back