Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadaelk

I have virtually no knowledge with solar panels, but I have a van (my personal electronics warehouse) parked in an underground garage and would like to keep the battery of the van topped up. There is a single 40W flourescent tube 2' above the van. Would a solar panel designed for car battery charging do the trick? What wattage should I get?
Thanks folks! E
Sorry, this should have been under renewable e., but I do not know how to move it. E

Last edited:
Sunlight is much brighter than a 40W fluorescent tube so I think the current from a solar panel sized for sunlight will be very low and maybe be useless.

The output of a solar panel illuminated with a 40W fluorescent tube will be a tiny fraction of what it would be in bright sunlight, not zero, but not sufficient to overcome the natural self discharge rate of a lead-acid battery, let alone the parasitic current used by the ECU in your van.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back