Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BatchPCB to the UK, be careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

edeca

So I just received my first BatchPCB board. I live in the UK so I was prepared to wait but it actually came pretty quickly (even including that pesky volcano!).

However, what was an already expensive board (£27) turned out even more expensive after £8 Royal Mail "international handling fee" and VAT of £4.98. An extra £13 just to get it shipped and imported, ouch!

For VAT the limit is currently £18 (roughly $27USD) but it works out much cheaper with BatchPCB if you order a bunch at a time.

Am seriously impressed with the speed, quality and overall service from BatchPCB. But import duties and that pesky handling charge mean I might start looking around in Europe again for a board house.

well, that sucks, i have yet to test ride batch pcb, i'm in portugal, and so far nothing has been caught in customs, i've bough 3-4 items from ebay, and loads more from deal extreme, i do keep the cost as low as possible.
could you post photos of the board and packaging?

I have found that PCBCore (in China) are of extremely high quality, but you pay lots for shipment (about £30 regardless of order size). However, since they ship through DHL or Fedex, you know the charges up front. The delivery time is quite long (10 days from memory).

If you want a lower quality PCB (but cheap and fast) Olimex prototyping service is good and coming from Bulgaria the delivery time is shorter.

Both companies have exceptional customer service and speak good English

On the subject of 'international shipping costs' I got burnt with this with Digikey some years ago since they used to ship everything from the US

I've ordered from BatchPCB a couple times. How fast the order comes can be pretty variable, so don't expect it to come quickly every time. It really depends when the board fills up and the send it out to be manufactured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back