Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bass guitar tuner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisM

I have seen other people workin on tuners, but mine will be for a bass, maybe it will work on a guitar. Anywho, I'm starting with a frequency to voltage converter, Philips' ECG 995(closest to the LM2917 I could get) and I just have that part made. I tested with my bass and I'm just getting an output of 6.29 V. Could anyone help or give hints as to an indicator? I have an idea using three LEDs: one for being too low (flat), one for high (sharp) and one for in tune. I have a digital cam so I can take photos if needed. Thanks!

dennisM said:
I have seen other people workin on tuners, but mine will be for a bass, maybe it will work on a guitar. Anywho, I'm starting with a frequency to voltage converter, Philips' ECG 995(closest to the LM2917 I could get) and I just have that part made. I tested with my bass and I'm just getting an output of 6.29 V. Could anyone help or give hints as to an indicator? I have an idea using three LEDs: one for being too low (flat), one for high (sharp) and one for in tune. I have a digital cam so I can take photos if needed. Thanks!

There's not much point in a tuner unless it's accurate, using an LM2917 isn't going to be very accurate for tuning a bass or guitar. It's usually done with a micro-controller, which is crystal controlled and gives good accuracy.

The magazine EPE published a PIC based one a few years ago, but to be honest, with how cheap you can buy tuners, it's not practical to build your own.

But for your three LED problem, you can simply use three comparators.

BTW, my daughters plays bass (exceptionally well!) and I can't remember when she last used her tuner?, she simply tunes by ear now - took her about 12 months from never having played a guitar or bass to no longer need the tuner.

I agree..

I agree... It's easy to learn how to tune a guitar. You can browse the net for articles regarding tuning the guitar using only your ear; You just need patience and practice. And also yes I think, it will be more practical to buy your own tuner if you really need its aid. Also i don't know if you already started computing for the frequencies and other parameters. There would be a lot of computations involve if you want your tuner to be more accurate. As for the indicators, you can use the LEDs, it's not a bad idea just check the output current so that the LEDs won't burn. If needed, put a series resistance with the LEDs.

Most people I know tune thier guitar with a keyboard or piano. Just hold the keyboard note and tighten the string till they are in harmony, works very well. Tuning by ear just involves making the next string harmonise with the previous one by holding the right fret and adjusting? I've seen it done, but am never sure how you set the first string.

Dr.EM said:
Most people I know tune thier guitar with a keyboard or piano. Just hold the keyboard note and tighten the string till they are in harmony, works very well. Tuning by ear just involves making the next string harmonise with the previous one by holding the right fret and adjusting? I've seen it done, but am never sure how you set the first string.

'Harmonise' isn't really the right term, you adjust for 'zero beat', this technique gets more difficult as the frequency gets lower though, so on bass guitars you can do the same thing by playing harmonics rather than the fundamental frequency of the string.

Generally if you buy a guitar 'kit' they supply you pitch pipes to tune to, but with a bass 'kit' you normally get a digital tuner - due to the difficulties of the 'zero beat' method.

Basically it doesn't matter if you don't have absolute tuning, as long as the band are all tuned the same - as you suggest, a keyboard is good to tune to as it's crystal controlled and far more accurate than a mechanical instrument.

The advantage of handheld tuners though is their high degree of accuracy, so individual band members can tune seperately secure in the knowledge that they will all be correct.

Yeah, zero beat makes more sense, I wasn't sure how to word what I meant. I saw someone tune using a laptop based tuner, he finished doing it and did the usual test of playing a chord, only to find it was quite far out. He then re-tuned by ear, I think most guitarists prefer doing it like that. The laptop tuner was probably responding late or something.

Thanks for the responses folks. I know there are other ways to tune a bass (tunemybass.com is pretty good) but the reason I'm attempting this is a challenge from an instructor at school (I'm going to ITT Tech for electronics)....He also suggested a frequency comparison circuit, however I didn't want to go this route, as it would require some type of second frequency input (signal generator)....any thoughts?

dennisM said:
Thanks for the responses folks. I know there are other ways to tune a bass (tunemybass.com is pretty good) but the reason I'm attempting this is a challenge from an instructor at school (I'm going to ITT Tech for electronics)....He also suggested a frequency comparison circuit, however I didn't want to go this route, as it would require some type of second frequency input (signal generator)....any thoughts?

As I mentioned previously, do like commercial ones do, measure the frequency digitally - use a micro-controller to do everything!.

You can still take advantage of tuning for zero beat frequency on a bass guitar by playing a higher pitched harmonic of the string. This is done by holding slight pressure against the string at the proper place on the fret while plucking the string and immediately removing the pressure on the string.

hyedenny said:
You can still take advantage of tuning for zero beat frequency on a bass guitar by playing a higher pitched harmonic of the string. This is done by holding slight pressure against the string at the proper place on the fret while plucking the string and immediately removing the pressure on the string.

Perhaps you didn't notice I mentioned using harmonics a couple of posts above?.

I noticed that you didnt mention HOW to do it! ....just trying to help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back