Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Understanding of Capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_3094

I have attached my notes on capacitor basics.
Could anyone have a read over them and let me know if I have understood correctly?

Thanks very much

Attachments

• Capacitors.doc
    109.5 KB · Views: 251
Thanks for that one. I just have one question:

Under 'capacitance' you say that voltage flashes between the plates. Why is that? I thought voltage didn't move? Wouldn't the current simply start flowing?

Interesting question. I would have thought the same.
When the voltage applied at the capacitors terminals exceed the breakdown voltage, doesnt the dielectric break down and begin to conduct ?

Under 'capacitance' you say that voltage flashes between the plates. Why is that? I thought voltage didn't move? Wouldn't the current simply start flowing?

Just terminology.
As the voltage rises, the dielectric will breakdown and current will flow between the plates.
If the capacitor has an air dielectric, there will be an observable arc, or spark or flashover between the plates.

JimB

only an ideal capacitor will hold its charge indefinitely when taken out of circuit. real capacitors will discharge slowly through the parasitic impedance that is internal to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back