Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic transistor calculation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaston

2ugkrk1.png

From what I think is correct, to calculate the base current on a bipolar trnasistor, you figure out how much current the load is going to use, then dived that by the beta of the treansistor. If the load is the gate of a mosfet, there will be no current except for maybe a little bit to charge the capacitance if the gate. ( is that correct?) Or should I just use no base resistor at all being that no current will flow through the transistor?

The base-emitter of a BJT looks like a forward biased diode so you need a resistor (or some way) to limit the base current. This base current flows independent of whatever the collector current is.

The N-MOSFET you show is connected backwards in your circuit. And even if you turn it around the circuit still will not work. To turn on a MOSFET the gate voltage needed is always referenced to the source (positive gate-source voltage for N-MOSFET and negative gate-source voltage for P-MOSFET).

Can you high-side switch the load and connect the MOSFET to ground? That will simplify your drive requirements. Note that you need a logic-level type MOSFET to fully turn on with a 5V gate-source voltage. Standard MOSFETs typically require 10V.

I see what you are saying. the npn has its emiter tied to ground. therefore makeing the base emiter junction a diode that current will flow through.

What about the pnp, will any current run through it? And while I am thinking about it, does a pnp have to have it's base grounded or just no voltage on it? I am thinking that it would have to be tied to ground so a current can flow throught the basr to turn it on.

I drew the wrong symbol for the mosfet, it is supposed to be a p type. sorry. I am just starting to fool with mosfets.

do you know the number of a logic level mosfet off the top of you head so I can google it and take a look at it?

If the PNP has it's emitter connected to a plus voltage then you would ground the base (through a resistor of course) to turn it on. A PNP is just like an NPN expect for the reversed voltage and current directions.

If you use a P-MOSFET as shown, then the gate needs to go to +48V (Vgs = 0) to turn it off. You also need to protect the gate from have more than it's maximum voltage applied (usually Vgs=20Vmax) such as would occur if you ground the gate to turn it on. A resistor and zener would do that.

Don't know of any logic-level types off-hand. Just google "logic level MOSFET".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back