Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Stamp & RC Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianoman

Hey Everyone--

At school, We received a grant to build an autonomous sensor robot. Much to my dismay, they decided to use a basic stamp in a kit. But, we had extra money left over, so we bought another basic stamp, and since this was of my initiative, they are letting me use this one as I please. In this digital electronics class, we have remote control car kits, so what I plan to do is create a second robot, using bump switches, the RC Car chassis, and this basic stamp.

Here's the thing: How can I interface the basic stamp with the 12 volt motors that come with the car? Do I have to use a relay so I don't burn out the chip?

Thanks!

pianoman said:
Hey Everyone--

At school, We received a grant to build an autonomous sensor robot. Much to my dismay, they decided to use a basic stamp in a kit. But, we had extra money left over, so we bought another basic stamp, and since this was of my initiative, they are letting me use this one as I please. In this digital electronics class, we have remote control car kits, so what I plan to do is create a second robot, using bump switches, the RC Car chassis, and this basic stamp.

Here's the thing: How can I interface the basic stamp with the 12 volt motors that come with the car? Do I have to use a relay so I don't burn out the chip?

Thanks!

A relay would be one solution, but it's rather crude and only offers ON/OFF control. The usual method is to use an H-Bridge, and feed it with PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to give variable speed.

Thanks for the reply. I don't really care about speed, at the moment. All I really need is a simple on or off circuit. So, if I set, in the code High Rear_Axle, and it produces plus five volts, is there any way for me to safely use that to power a 6 to 12 volt r.c. car motor? --preferably using just transistors, or easy-to-come-by components (available at a radioshack or something)

pianoman said:
Thanks for the reply. I don't really care about speed, at the moment. All I really need is a simple on or off circuit. So, if I set, in the code High Rear_Axle, and it produces plus five volts, is there any way for me to safely use that to power a 6 to 12 volt r.c. car motor? --preferably using just transistors, or easy-to-come-by components (available at a radioshack or something)

Yes, you can use a transistor to feed a relay, check the 'Hardware Extras' section of my tutorials for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back