Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic question about computer fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingeniir

Hey all,

I'm very new to electronics. Can someone explain to me how pins work, or direct me somewhere I can learn about how computer component connectors work?
My goal is to run a computer fan directly from some power source (like AA batteries), without the motherboard or any other computer components.

A typical computer fan has three wires. This is a link to such a fan's connector. They are powered from 12 volts DC. When just powering the fan with straight DC power the tachometer line is not used. Generally but not always the power is red + and common is black -, note the connector orientation shown in the link. Many newer fans have 4 wire connections. I assume you have basic 3 pin fan(s).

Something to consider when using batteries is a typical basic fan draws about 150 to 200 mA of current at 12 volts so plan your batteries accordingly. For example using AA alkaline batteries you would need 8 batteries in series to get 12 volts.

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back