Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic electronics help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepuskar

Hello,

Was hoping someone can help me out with this...

I bought an aquarium that comes with LED lights. On top of the aquarium are two switches, one controls one LED bar, the other controls 4 LED bars. However, in order to power the 4 LED bars, the 1st switch has to be on. So switch 1 AND switch 2 have to be on in order for the 4 LED bars to work.

I'm not happy with this setup as I want to control them seperately. The problem is there is only one plug for the lights that needs to go to a timer. So I need two plugs so I control the time they are on/off seperately.

So I've confirmed the LED's are powered by 12VDC and they pull 30mA each. I confirmed using my multimeter and a Kill-A-watt device I bought from HD. Each time I plug in a new LED bar the current draw goes up 30mA.

So I found a wall wart that outputs 12VDC and is rated for 600mA. As a test I plugged in my wall wart to the kill-a-watt device and powered one LED bar, (I did confirm it's a 12VDC output).
The (1) LED bar I powered was super bright and drawing 130mA.

So my thinking was if I provided a 12VDC source I should be good, but obviously there is something else going on here. I backed out my wiring test and returned things to normal. I took a reading from each of the 4 LED contacts and they each read 12VDC.

Their power is coming from a small PCB which I don't have a schematic so I'm guessing my problem starts there. Could they be doing some sort of current limiting or am I overlooking something basic here?? :(

Thanks for the help. (I can provide pictures if it would help someone answer)

Jason

LEDs are operated by regulating the current through them; not the voltage across them. Sounds that while you are mucking about you are bypassing the current regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back