Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic dimmer switch for mains lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrr_arrghh

Just a quick question

On the older style dimmer switches (the modern ones all seem to have remote controls, and glowing bits, and all sorts of fancy rubish) - I'm talking about the ones that you simply turn to make the light brighter or dimmer - are these just a large potentiometer? or is it a small rehostat or something?

Thinking about it - what is the difference between a potentiometer and a rehostat? (if thats how you spell it)

Thanks

Tim

Here is a very simple dimmer.
Rheostat is a variable output toroidal trafo.

Attachments

• TRIACdim.GIF
    TRIACdim.GIF
    2.6 KB · Views: 411
grrr_arrghh said:
ok, thanks guys

Sebi said:
Rheostat is a variable output toroidal trafo.

err, what?

I think he means a transformer (trafo), but I would disagree, a rheostat is a large (very large!) wirewound potentiometer. Whereas a transformer would only work on AC, a rheostat works on DC as well.

The ones they had back stage at my old school were scary, they were actually sliders - and pretty well open, to dissipate the heat. Imagine health and safety nowadays :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back