Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdg007

can anyone give me a basic circuit for modulating a single LED with a function generator and a voltage source ?????????

Depends on the function generator. If the function generator allows for a pulse out and allows adjusting the pulse width for a set frequency Then it becomes relatively easy. Let the function generator drive a transistor that drives the LED or if the function generator has a beefy enough current out let the function generator drive the LED directly. Depends on what you have?

Ron

i have function generator...i know how to drive an LED with a transistor..but i want to do it without a transistor... bit confused how to do that..
-
i want the function generator to drive the LED directly but is it possible to if the LED is given a DC supply ?
View attachment 65398
where to feed the function generator(with dc offset zero) in this circuit ?? :O

Last edited:
Replace the battery in your circuit with the function generator. You have a battery (Vsupply) of 5 volts. The LED Vf is 3.5 volts and you have a resistor 85 Ohms limiting the current to about 17 mA. Long as your function generator can source the needed current you would replace the battery with the function generator output. I do it all the time for checking optical tach pickup units. Now if you want to PWM the LED the function generator will need to allow adjusting the output pulse with at a set frequency.

Ron

is there a possible way not to replace the battery and also keep function generator ?
-
i can set the 5v with the dc offset ... i will do that now ans see..

ok .. i replace the battery with the function generator...and i got the waveform across the LED...but how am i certain that the waveform i am seeing is the waveform from LED ????it can be from the function generator throught the resistor ???

The only way not to drive the LED directly with the function generator is using a transistor as mentioned earlier but you do not want to use a transistor. If you are curious as to what the waveform going to the LED actually looks like you would need a scope. The resistor serves to limit the LED current when you have a 5 volt pulse. All you have is a function generator driving a LED with a series resistor. Just like your circuit shows.

ok .. i replace the battery with the function generator...and i got the waveform across the LED...but how am i certain that the waveform i am seeing is the waveform from LED ????it can be from the function generator throught the resistor ???

I am not sure what you are asking?

Ron

where else would it be from other than the function generator ? its the only signal source you have connected to the LED

As Ron said, a scope will show you what the signal looks like

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back