Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Ok im sure i asked this before but lost it... I want to make a bootloader... yes make.. unless there is a simple one which can be used freely out there...

I want to use SERIAL (UART) to reprogram it.

I need to learn HOW IT WORKS and HOW TO GET STARTED... Can someone please help me out here. If i make something you know it will be available here freely...

For which microcontroller?

Here's a link to a good one for PICs with more links some with source at the bottom.

Last edited:
My ASM is rusty but its helpful... I also found BLOADER/SCREAMER from sparkfun now.. its in CSS C... ill try to convert to C18 or similar heh

I use the one Bill mentioned, Tiny Bootloader. I've also used Bloader/Screamer (I actually rewrote the new Screamer for SparkFun), but Tiny is smaller and supports more PICs and I think I had run into trouble trying to convert Bloader to other PICs.

OK Basics without error checking would be...

Setup UART...
Wait Certain time for special response from PC if none jump to normal boot
if response then read certain amount of bytes then place bytes in buffer (address 2 bytes, data 1 byte)
load buffer in PROGRAM MEMORY using address and with data
once done reset?

Ill try to play with the Tiny PIC Bootloader... not now tho.. tooooo tired heh

Last edited:
1 maybe silly question...

Using a Bootloader we cannot reprogram fuses/configs right? Or can we? Like if i make this bootloader and make new code for main app...will the set fuses/configs in the new hex overwrite the ones the bootloader uses?

You can reprogram fuses from the bootloader on 18F' devices but you then you need to be careful not to change a setting that might mess up the bootloader...

Also please note that the programming algorithm, erase "row" size, etc., is not the same between all 16F' devices and all 18F' devices...

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back