Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bash the computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Have you ever been frustrated by a computer error? Now you can take revenge on all the dirty tricks your computer does! You can destroy a PC without any pain or cost. With the stress-relieving flash game METELE AL ORDENATA (Bash the computer) you are able to relax without regreting.

https://www.thestylemachine.com/metele/

Hehehe, totally worth it! I took out a fair amount of stress just now :D:D:D

Heh. Bookmarking.

Unfortunately, when I need it the most I won't be able to get to it.

A couple of stories:

Back in, oh - 2001? - I helped set up for BotBash here in Phoenix (a combat-robotics exhibition that I don't know if it still runs or not); it was held at what is known in the art community here as the "Hyster Building"; which is (was?) one of David Therrien's (**broken link removed**) haunts.

Anyhow, part of BotBash (at the end, at night) was a performance art piece done with these large R/C robotic creations by Christian Ristow (**broken link removed** we set up monitors, TVs, copiers, old computers, printers, etc - for his robots to tear apart and such. At the end, all of us (spectators, etc) "went in" to finish the job - stomping, kicking, punching, bashing this crap apart; taking out our anger towards "the machine" is the way I treated it; a Bauhaus orgy form of electronic mayhem destruction in beautiful apocalyptic south Phoenix. One thing I did note, even with steel toe boots, it is really difficult to bust a CRT face-first (probably a good thing). It was also very cathartic.

Second story: My wife once bought this cheap POS electric weed whacker (something from walmart when they were selling "popular mechanics" branded junk - as opposed to their usual junk) that barely worked. It kept eating the line, or not feeding it out, getting stuck - all the while I was trying to use it to do a bit of edging in our backyard. At some point I just lost it, and bashed that think to bits - full overhead swings into the ground, I was so p--sed off! I then took my sledgehammer to the parts. Not a shred of the crap was left to be usable to anybody. I tossed it in the can, and my wife was kinda dumbfounded when she heard the story, and still ribs me about it every now and again to this day. I suppose we could've gotten our money back ($50 dollars or so?) - but it felt real good to tear that pile of junk apart. The weedeater we bought to replace it is still somewhat a piece of junk, but seriously no where near as bad as that one was.

Yes - sometimes taking your anger out like this can be very soothing; this flash "game" was fun - but try the "real thing" if you ever have the chance and don't mind a few injuries; it can be well worth it! :D

My son says we should do that in real life with hammers and post on youtube for all to enjoy!!!!!

Probably if you are annoyed with your PC you may try doing this originally as well ;)

OR simply get rid of that crappy OS that made you mad in the first place and install a real OS that simply works....... Eh the world will be a better place when microsucks files for bankruptcy........

The flash swf needs updating for flatscreens :p

I use Ubuntu and Win XP mostly, and I have windows 7 on my laptop. I find XP great for working on, and I would rather have Apple dissapear than Microsoft.

The flash swf needs updating for flatscreens :p

I use Ubuntu and Win XP mostly, and I have windows 7 on my laptop. I find XP great for working on, and I would rather have Apple dissapear than Microsoft.
+1+1
Win 7 on my laptop hides a lot of the stuff I got used to using on XP.

Hmm, really? I ran XP for 5 or 6 years, and had Vista on my desktop. When I got my new laptop, that ran windows 7, I actually liked it even more. XP is a workhorse and good for making calculations and documents and that sort of thing, but I have found 7 to be better for everyday use. I like the interface--much neater and cleaner than XP, and I like how many more programs 7 supports than XP ever did. I also love how easy it is to modify the look of it and how it runs. There are just too many things that can be done on 7 that can't be done on XP for make me dislike 7. so far, this is definitely the best computer (and operating system) I have ever used.

As for the part about having Apple disappear rather than Microsoft, I agree 100%. I have just had too many problems with Macs in the past. I've really grown to despise the setup, layout, and operation of Apple products. They're completely useless to me.

Yet just take a look at the intro screen on that 'bash the puter' link and one will it is a winsucks machine and now tell me ANYONE that has ever run winblows that has never seen the blue screen is either blind or a just a plain lie.......

As far as the apple goes.... well it is a variation of unix that went in the wrong direction ( depending on one's point of view) Linux is a more user friendly version of unix, FreeBSD can run off a micro easily ...... Now lets just take a look at that 'Moore's Law' where the speed will increase blah blah blah and with the speed increasing so is the overhead of winsucks software.

I'm running ubuntu 10.04 on an old primary school P4 1.6 gig with only 384 meg of ram and xp runs quicker in a VM than it does native and as of yet I aint seen a blue screen running it in a linux OS.

Over the last few months I've gone into a few computer shops asking for old computers and was told by all of them when people are buying new they are keeping the old ones and most say they are going to run linux on them for a backup. Also with the advent of the Android the desktop with a huge hunger for power will soon be a thing of the past due to the price of power going thru the roof.

Yet just take a look at the intro screen on that 'bash the puter' link and one will it is a winsucks machine and now tell me ANYONE that has ever run winblows that has never seen the blue screen is either blind or a just a plain lie.......

I can honestly say I've never run into the "blue screen of death". I've used PCs for 15 years and never had a major issue. However, I've had to use Macs before in that period, and there were always problems.

I think that you got the blue screen on a PC once, and automatically assumed that it happens to everyone and that windows is garbage because of it. That is 100% not true, and I encourage you to rethink your position.

I have only ever had a very few select bluescreens:

* Driver incompatibility back in Win 98 with a TV card
* A failing sandy bridge sata controller on my alienware laptop (sent it back to Dell and got my money back)
* Errors in my OWN drivers and software.

Most of these due to bad luck or my own stupidity (like buying a Dell!)...

Linux can fall over too, I guess you have yet to experience a kernel panic ;).

I can not see traditional computers being replaced anytime soon - some of the tasks I do take hours to do running a quad core i7 (8 threads). Would hate to think how long it would take on a low power atom or a android based device!

any OS has problems... it is what you can do with it that counts. and people do different things...

yes, there was a time when windows was winblows: Win3.1 was...awfull, Win95 was cute but needed reinstall every month or two, Win98 was worse with incompatibilities and quirks...
there is no hiding or wrapping it up that MS blew it. and MS didn't care as business customers had NT. eventually they smartened up (pressure from Linux) and droped Win9x products and moved to NT only. this grew into Win2000, WinXP etc. distinction between business and consumer was not different code base, it was featuers included in distributions (Home vs. Pro). XP was and still is very productive and popular OS. Vista was an experiement that didn't go well. Win7 was fix but despite many improvements (wireless for example), there are issues like lousy windows explorer, search, UAC so one has to do some tweaking or 3rd party products to make best of it.
but claiming that blue screens are frequent and common is not true. i've only seen it twice, once when video card failed and the other when i was overclocking (brought the settings back and all was cool).

linux has it's own share of problems, the most significant is simply lack of software. i just can't do my job using linux or mac because every product i have to use for living is writen for Windows only and - there are many of them.
yes there are VMs and other workarounds but they only get you so far (I know because I use them too, to run older software for example or to isolate installations of products that tend not to work well together). VMs are good to have a sandbox and run something that only needs basic resources or peripherals such as CPU time, RAM, HDD, mouse and printer... but once you get to drivers for specialized hardware like communication adapters (other than ethernet or RS232), all VMs fall flat on their face. and it is not just commercial productivity tools but also video games etc. anything requiring acceleration by graphic card does not run faster in VM compared to native performance because in VM everything is virtualized and you can't compare software solution with real hardware. all decent VMs have soem sort of acceleration too (installed separately) but this is still weak, it is literally like using grahic card that is several generations older.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back