Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

barcode wand interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

meander

i recently acquired some of those barcode wands. they have nothing with them, no control or interface, just the db9 female plug on the end of the cord. i dont know anything about these, as there are no numbers on them. what should i do in order to begin? just try putting 5v on the different pins to see which lights it?

well, last week i made an led blink with a pic 16f628a, and that was my first project. so, kind of but not really. i have programming experience and electronics experience, so it shouldnt be too hard to combine them...

Well if all you did was make a led blink wich can me achieve with out a microcontroller, I don't know if you cand do it.

It is a project for a person that as alot of knowledge in programing,
do you think you are up to it?

Ok first you got to choose a PIC
which I would recommend something in the 18xx series.

Once you choose a PIC
post it up and I will give you more info.

Ya basicly, but that is what I recommend to you, it depend's on what you want.

meander said:
why the 18 series? more memory? faster speeds? the A/D converter?

The 18 series are FAR more complicated than the 16 series, I would suggest you start with the 16 series rather than the 18 series. Both provide A/D converters (depending on the PIC you use), and the 16 series have more than enough memory for most applications, and usually run far too fast anyway (particularly for robotics).

The 16 series only have 35 instructions, and the vast majority of downloadable code is for the 16 series - and there's a HUGE amount of it!. Specific 18 code is very rare, although the chips are very powerful, but for most purposes it's only a waste!.

Well it depend's on what you do
most robot's I build I use 18xx series
it is perfect for my sercurity robot that I have built and It is good for alot of other thing's. You can never have to much power, it is always good to have a little extra just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back