Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bakelite cellphone headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

toothbrush

Hi all, hopefully a simple question for you. Inspired by the retro-looking handsets available for cellphones (ThinkGeek :: Retro Phone Handset), I thought I'd salvage some components I had and make my own. I got rid of the insides of an old rotary phone handset, and placed a 45Ω speaker (about 1.5cm diameter) and a condenser mic inside, connecting them such that I could connect the lot to my phone (2.5mm stereo jack). Anyway, 2 problems.

The first is that when only the speaker is connected, the sound is very soft, barely audible - would this be fixed by installing, say, a 30Ω speaker?

Secondly, the real show-stopper, if both mic and speaker are connected, and I try to call someone, a terrible squeal is hear on their end (feedback?), as well as on my end. How can this be solved? I don't think it's feedback via sound from the speaker, as it's output is very soft. Any ideas/common pitfalls this may be related to?

Thanks a lot in advance!

PS: I roughly followed this: Nokia headset / handsfree HDB-5 connector and schematics pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back