Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Baffled Newbie in search of IC Sleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

A big hello to all you electronic experts out there, well compared to me everyone is an expert :(
Our cat has a better record of making things that actually work first time!
Anyway I was given a good few chips by a family friend, whos husband sadly passed away recently, and I have given them a good home. Sadly I can't ask what they were all for, but have identified 99% of them, but some defy all my efforts, so I thought I would up the stakes by letting people who are in the know have a look.
I would be very grateful for even the smallest scrap of info on them, and if anyone knows what they are and needs some just let me know.
Anyway here are the pics I scanned, the chips are all 16 pinners and the same size as two 555s end to end, hope someone can solve my mystery, and thanks for looking!

Attachments

• pp  199.jpg
    pp 199.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 230
  • gold  chips.jpg
    gold chips.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 232
  • blank  chips.jpg
    blank chips.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 241
Some one may know what the first ones are, but if you googled for them and came up blank, the chances are not good.

Only God knows what the other two are. They are just dip packages without markings. Could be memory, logic, custom chips or some sort.

No way of knowing.

The ones with the gold top look old.

Gold ones: Most likely old RAM chips. Maybe Signetics 74S89s? I have some like these at work with numbers on them. I'll have a look on Tuesday.
Blank ones: Anything on the bottom of them?
PP199s: The ones with the best chance of ID: No clue. May be a custom chip.

The gold chips (actually kovar) are most likely to be some old EPROMS. They would be small capacity (perhaps 8K X 8). The covers are over a quartz window that will permit you to erase them with UV light.

The unmarked chips could be anything. Some companies used to erase IC markings as a protection against reverse engineering, or to make it impossible to do field repairs on their stuff.

The PP199 chips could be anything.

the PP199's are most likely specialty chips, for example in a TV. They are made for a specific purpose and simplification of a circuit. It is made for a specific purpose, probably because they did not have access to a microprocessor or somthing.

monkeybiter said:
can't help with the ics but it's nice to see someone else from south yorks on here
welcome

Hi,
I think you find there are lotsa of West Riding guys on the forum.:)
Ex-Kimberworth Park

I know there's at least seven of us!

Thanks for the welcome

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies.

I guess I should probably dump the blank and gold chips ( if anyone wants em they are welcome to them), just hang onto the pp199s in case someone does know.

Also, Ericgibbs mentions being a Kimberworth Park Ex-Pat, well guess where I'm sitting typing this right now! Small world eh! :D

You should also check the bottom side of the ICs, sometimes clues are printed there. Otherwise with no markings, it's only good for decoration.

Also sometimes a blacklight may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back