Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bad LCD screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_pay

Hi

I have a weather station in my home, I have had it for quite some time now. Unfortunately the LCD screen to display the data has gone blank ish. I can see the data, but only if I look at it with a very low viewing angle. Normally it is as clear as anything. The writing is very dull.

I have tried turning it off and on again, but it didn't rectify the problem at hand.

Does anyone know where the starting point would be to fix it. I really like it and yould like it to be repaired.

Thanks

Tom

Maybe start by seeing if it is back lit which is what it sounds like. Try to angle the beam of a flashlight and if you can see the data, then I would suspect either the power supply for back lighting has failed or the backlight source itself has failed.

That would be my guess for starters.

Ron

Is it battery powered, if so how flat are the batteries.

Other possable cause is the contrast needs adjusting.

Pete.

There is quite a buzz going about BAD CAPS (Even a web site with that name.) A LOT of LCDs are going bad because of bad caps in the power supplies. If you open it up and see any bulged caps or any CapXon brand or any of the other name on the BAD CAPs list, change them. It's usually the ~1000uF values. You could $1.19 away from a fix.

Hi

I have just had a look at the unit.

1) The Back light works.

2) It runs on an AC-DC plug pack.

In a while I will open it up and have a look, I hope it is a simple fix!!!

Tom

Hi

I opened it up this morning.

Had a look and nothing seemed to be wrong. It was very complicated so I was a bit unsure.

After I had put it back together again, it worked!!! And the LCD is now brighter (not the back light, but the digits) than ever!!

Must have been some dirt on the LCD contacts.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Great. Sometimes just any action is good action. Just realize that it could've been a bad/cold solder joint that you inadvertently wiggled back together. Temperature has a lot to do with that, and, after all, it is a weather station. Any more troubles; look me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back