Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

backlight of a lcd screen - how to get it to turn on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

con.fuse.d

Hi all, I have a lcd backlight and I want to plug it into a 12v supply, but I don't know how the wires go. Any ideas?

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Well 2 of those wires have to be for electricity, right? And then can't I just short the other 2, or somehow send an "all-is-good" signal so it works?

In any case can I just wire the backlight panel to a transformer?

**broken link removed**

Well 2 of those wires have to be for electricity, right? And then can't I just short the other 2, or somehow send an "all-is-good" signal so it works?

Two will certainly be ground and power, but the others may not be simple ON/OFF type signals, but more likely some kind of pulsed data coming back from the inverter (if there's a return), an analogue input for brightness, and possibly a logic signal for ON/OFF.

In any case can I just wire the backlight panel to a transformer?

I wouldn't have thought so - it's fairly complex.

What are you trying to do with it anyway?.

Is there anything identifiable on the board itself. IC numbers, etc. Do you know what it came out of?
It came from an old LCD, 15" not a laptop display, and I discarded the rest of the board. I don't even remember the brand, silly me...

This particular model suggests that the control signals could possibly be Power, PWM (brightness), Ground and On/Off.
Should I test it? Just got to figure which is which. Is there a way to discover that by where the wires connect in the board? I could take a close picture of the board.

Ground is obvious, so that's easily identified - power is as well, it will go the +ve end of the large electrolytic(s) on the board. The other connections are somewhat more difficult.

Downlaod and check the datasheet for the IC, and see if it has something as simple as an "enable" pin.

And like Nigel said the power and ground will have large traces and go to a large cap.

Backlights of a 42 inch lcd screen how to power them

I have a LG Philips LC420Wu6 from 42 inch tv. I removed cracked front LCD panel and used the whole tv for shoplight over workbench for awhile then got replacement and fixed the tv, now I have the old LC420WU6 with backlights and inverters, 2 wires from each inverter. What can i use to power the inverters?
It worked great for work light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back