Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Back Problems (from contemplating changing code language)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

I thought I emailed you back Burt?o My bad
Sounds like a whole new can of worms just to transmit the status of two switches.May just stick to Swordfish for now. I have yet to try using the 7555 idea which IMO will work IF I get a loop that counts the number of pulses in say 1 second. If less than 50 then switch one if more than 100 then switch two. By having a large gap between the pulse count then any glitches wouldn't matter hopefully?
Been kinda busy lately with wood projects but really kinda depressed or anxious about forth coming back surgery. Can't seem to get enthused to do anything at this point.
Sorry if I sound like I am looking for pity. I figured while laying in a hospital bed I could read up on XXX code

Does back surgery even work my Doc said it would make it better and Guy that did the MRI said forget and live with the pain or do it and have more pain.

I figure just forget it and live with it but it's hard to set in my chair and code now and I'm not big on pain meds Hope you get better and good luck Mrdeb.

MrDeb see if you can find a book on data structures as I mentioned earlier. Maybe the public lib? I think you stand a better chance of getting something useful out of your bedrest time reading it. All attempts I made a coding while on serious pain meds were a flop.

Given that everyone seems to have had their say on the language thing I think it would be OK to talk about the back thing unless MrDeb objects? And if he does we can start a new thread.

Not sure what your back problem is Burt.

I have a few ruptured and a few compressed disks. After about a year of trying to not lift much and 2 months of PT most of the pain is gone, unless I get stupid and lift something. The PT did more good then anything as it built up muscles to support the spine.

From what I read natural healing takes 3 to 5 years.

You hit the nail on the head about not lifting any thing that's heavy. That's what did it and that's what I need to do stop being stupid I'm not a kid any more even if I think I am sometimes mine are compressed

And 3v0 the data structures would be a great book to read

1/3 of mine are now artificial + Titanium cage , Doc told me to start drinking after the fact of doing all that. Go figure

I have several compressed discs but the problem at this point is L1 is compressing the spinal cord canal. On June 7th they are going to do a lumbar laminectomy.
At present I have no real pain just numbness in the legs after standing for 5-10 minutes
any suggestions on books on data structures as I need to order from Amazon.com
Got up this morning at 3am. can't sleep. Thinking about how to recalibrate the temp ctr soldering iron I built seeing how I got the Hakko temperature meter. Along with that how to do the switch polling idea using the 7555. Ideas are just working overtime since I found out my diagnosis. I knew this was coming 5 years ago. The legs have just got worse as far as stamina goes. On top of all this I am still contemplating going to summer camp with my BSA troop on the 18th 11 days after sugery. YES I am working on an alternative plan.

Sounds like you have the same thing as I do, It makes my legs go numb and my right side hurts if I lift to much or sit in a chair to long.

I was up to about 300 pounds I started eating better kinds of food and lost 40 of that which helps a lot and try to stop lifting things that are bigger then me made a big change.

I had a ruptured disk (L4) several years ago. Had the surgery, took all of 45 minutes, came through just fine.
I don't lift the heavy stuff that I used to and I don't have any problems.
Hope yours is as successful as mine!

Last edited:
About 10 years ago, I fell off a crane and damaged two disk's, whilst waiting for surgery (This is England we have to wait)... I put on too many extra pounds, I became the ultimate couch potato, The day of my operation came........ They wouldn't proceed as I was overweight.... Needless to say...
From what I read natural healing takes 3 to 5 years.

That's about right 3V0...

I still suffer from sciatica though.... Life eh!

this is more like it!!! a place where us old codger's can go moan about our backs :D:D, i had back pain but like 3v0 PT was the best thing i ever did for it! the other thing that helped me was getting a decent office chair to sit in and work one that actualy supported my back, the woman that did ,my PT after my stroke came round and set my chair up correctly for me (height from floor etc) it made a big difference

I suffert fo 40+years from back-pain (L1).I understand chronic pain. The situation did not warrant an operation (it was not sexy enough! the surgeons words!). I came across an ad from www.drhonow.com about the decompression back-belt. I ordered it (hohum, another $160 wasted, I thought). Well it worked for me. I now use it when needed. It may not work for you though.
Note: I have no interest in Dr. Ho's company and bought this one item only! E

My back had compressed disc for years, had back pain, leaned to one side for about a week off and on. Usually once or twice a year. I bought an inversion bed (hang upside down) worked like a charm no more back pain. Moved to Idaho, worked for BLM, followed guidelines for loading an ATV. The ATV fliped over on top of me still running./ That's when my serious back issues, disability really started big time.
I to like this as a fourm to gripe about us old congers ache's and pains.

Oh boy, I can relate to this one quite well.

Around about the age of 20, I used the totally incorrect technique to lift a cylinder head off. I was leant forward from the hip at approx 45 degrees, knees against the bumper, arms fully stretched out, going for a 'clean-jerk-upwards-and-pull-it-towards-me' just as some of the other techs did....only I wasn't built as big as them.

Most of the time previously, when I'd asked for a hand I got one, eventually. Due to the shop being on an individual time-saved bonus scheme, "Yeah, in a minute" could easily turn into five or ten minutes standing around waiting for someone to actually turn up & help, since helping someone else is going to affect their own pocket.

Time ticked.

And ticked.

"Yeah, in a minute" for the second time.

It was a little bit larger than the other heads I'd removed previously, but not by much. Too much longer and I wasn't going to make much bonus from this job. I could probably handle it.

What I hadn't taken into consideration, was that the head was pretty tight on the locating dowels and with hindsight, I should have leant over each wing (fender for you US guys) and rocked it first to loosen it.

I went for the lift and it didn't budge, but something in my back did.

The doctor prescribed anti-inflammatories in the form of Brufen Retard and two weeks of bed rest.

The following year, at the end of January/beginning of February - nearing the end of the British winter - it 'went' again, resulting in four weeks off work, with the same prescription and bed rest for the duration.

The following year, at the end of January/beginning of February ........ blah blah ......... yep, same result.

I got referred to the hospital for some x-rays etc. Turns out that I had/have a (this is only from memory) "reversal of lower lordosis around L3 & L4 - a reversal of curves"

Basically, my spine now curves in normally just above the top of my buttocks, curves out briefly around L3/4, then curves back in & then continues normally ouward through my upper back to my neck.

Sitting for long periods is no fun. Standing for long periods is no fun. Sleeping-in is a no-no and that doesn't tend to happen anyway because I know it will worsen the feeling but if I'm ill in/on the bed/sofa with something else......such as man-flu. :D

The worst thing though, has to be the local weather. If I conciously catch myself sitting/standing in one position for too long, I can correct it by changing position or getting up and walking around, but I can't change the weather.

Living in a location which was chosen for it's ideal conditions for spinning cotton tells a story. If you live in a town which has/had a thriving cotton industry, you can bet your behind that for most of the year it will be cool and damp. Or slightly less cool in the summer, but still somewhat damp.

As a young apprentice, when an older guy said "It seeps into your bones" I dismissed it, but I now know what he was talking about.

Regards.

Well I had the surgery on Thursday june 7th at 4pm and headed home on Friday June 8th at 3pm.
Had L1, L2, L3 lamanotomy and I think The three were fused?.
LOTS of pain getting outta bad in the morning. No problem walking using a walker.
I researched and learn recovery time is 6-8 weeks minimum.
LOML is now waiting on me hand and foot. The one I feel bad about is our dog Tasha (a cute Shitz Zue) she can't understand why I can't scratch her tummy or even just give her a rub. What would we do without pets? great therapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back