Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Back light!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
I don't normally ask questions but I'm hooking a LCD colour screen to my Pic32!!

All's well but the "recommended" back light circuit looks a bit overkill... Why have they done this..

If I read it correctly there will be @1.25v at the base of the final NPN?? It is still saturated... So why the extra components.

Attachments

• Back light.bmp
    621.3 KB · Views: 175
The final transistor is not saturated, it is a current regulator.
If the base-emitter voltage of the final NPN is 0.7V and its base voltage is 1.25V regulated by the two diode-connected transistors then the 12 ohms emitter resistor regulates the collector and LED current at (1.25V - 0.7V)/12 ohms= 46mA.

The circuit is used to regulate the current because different color LEDs have different forward voltages so a simple resistor to limit the current cannot be used.

Wait a minute! Purple is red and blue at the same time. Cyan is green and blue at the same time. Yellow is green and red at the same time. White is all 3 colors at the same time. So all they needed was one current limiting resistor for each of the 3 color groups.

I don't normally ask questions but I'm hooking a LCD colour screen to my Pic32!!

All's well but the "recommended" back light circuit looks a bit overkill... Why have they done this..

If I read it correctly there will be @1.25v at the base of the final NPN?? It is still saturated... So why the extra components.

You're mistaken Ian, it's a constant current source, which can be switched ON/OFF by the LH transistor. The two diode connected transistors provide the voltage reference for the constant current source, and the emitter resistor sets the current (to about 60mA).

I doubt that an LCD screen with LEDs for its backlight uses white LEDs and color filters because a white LED is actually a blue one with a yellowish phosphor on top and does not produce all the colors that are in real white light.

audioguru !! Its just a single colour backlight.. so I would have though a single resistor should suffice.

Nigel Goodwin !! Why on earth would they do this...

Hang on a mo!!! The connection on the board specifically shows three LED + connections and they have been paralleled up.... This is probably why!!!

Because it's best to feed LED's with a constant current, and it makes it easily switch-able as well (and presumably PWM could be used to vary the current via the same transistor).
Thanks for your help Nigel.... First I tried a lone 15 ohm resistor... About 91mA..... I quickly disconnected it and did the current sink..... As I said its running on about 34mA.... Three channels... so about 11mA per channel....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back